"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Kitchen Certification?

Hi all,

I have what seems to me like a simple question, but for some reason I can't figure out where to look.

Do I need to get my kitchen inspected if I want to produce candy for retail elsewhere? Is that the same for any packaged food?

Thanks

Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Are you talking about the kitchen in your private residence? If so, not only do you need the board of health to register and certify your kitchen, you need to be sure you can run a business out of your home.

There are stories about private citizens who make something that is so delicious that the idea of selling it becomes irresistible. It's just not as easy as it should be. You've got to get 'legal' first or the consequences could be very expensive.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Head Chef

I think regulations can vary from state to state, but you definitely need to check them out before you start a commercial business from your home kitchen. There are also tax considerations if you do start a business. You may have to charge sales tax, depending upon where you live and there may be insurance issues, as well. It can become a very complicated venture.
If you do go ahead you have my best wishes for a very successful enterprise.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharyr View Post
Hi all,

I have what seems to me like a simple question, but for some reason I can't figure out where to look.

Do I need to get my kitchen inspected if I want to produce candy for retail elsewhere? Is that the same for any packaged food?

Thanks
I believe the exact regulations vary from state to state as indicated above, but I do not think many states will allow this practice unless you remodel to a commercial kitchen (3 compartment sink, proper cooking surfaces, and a lot more)

Your first issue will be a zoning issue. Is a home business allowed in your neighborhood? Sometimes this depends on whether the business is passive or aggressive in regard to deliveries, customers and such.

Second issue, even though candy is considered a safe food because of the high sugar content, some of the high protein products you may choose to manufacture it with are not (cream, butter, eggs).

The simple answer to where to look for the exact answer is to call your local health department and ask.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef

You'll also need a good insurance policy. Just in case. Good luck !!!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

Most locales do not allow you to use your own kitchen, so make sure you know the laws. Like others have said, it varies by location.

There are a whole lot of issues involved with starting a business like this. Health issues, liability issues, tax issues, etc, etc. You will def need commercial insurance.

I highly suggest contacting an attorney to help guide you through it.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Another thing that will be a "no-no" is if you have indoor pets roaming about, such as cats and/or dogs. Our local health department will not approve a home kitchen if there are inside pets. Too much danger of contamination, no matter how careful you feel you are.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Yes, check with your local SCORE, SBA, or your ecommerce department and they will lead you in the right direction. You can usually contact one of the above three and they will be able to give you the necessary input on contacts on who you have to phone.

The information you will be needing to know is the same as a business must know about that cooks in a kitchen. Something you also may consider is researching information about this on the Internet and building up a list of questions to have handy when you speak to your point of contact(s).

Another great idea would be to have a folder set aside with notes and papers you've collected so they all stay together in one place and you can refer back to them at any time. Best of luck during your search! Good luck with your new venture!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Jackie57
Baking in Virginia

It is interesting to see how some states are more accepting of Home baking businesses. Here in Virginia I know that they will certifiy a home kitchen, but I am just now in the process of trying to find out how to begin the process. If there is anyone who can offer me some advice or put me in contact with the right people, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Jackie in Virginia
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie57 View Post
It is interesting to see how some states are more accepting of Home baking businesses. Here in Virginia I know that they will certifiy a home kitchen, but I am just now in the process of trying to find out how to begin the process. If there is anyone who can offer me some advice or put me in contact with the right people, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Jackie in Virginia
First, start with your local Zoning authority in the city or county where you live. Explain exactly what you have in mind. They should tell you if what you want to do is allowed in your zoning district.

Second, if it is allowed, contact the local health dept which may be city or more likely county. Tell them the same thing. They should give you a list of what you will have to do.

Do not spend a lot of money on equipment and supplies until you do the above. You may find out that even if it is allowed, the process of getting approval and the equipment involved is too expensive to continue.

good luck.