"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cream of Broccoli soup

Hi all, here is the starting base I use for Cream of Broccoli soup, it's from allrecipes. I've made so many versions over the years and in my humble opinion, this is one of the best.

Best Cream Of Broccoli Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

My additions are to add some cubed potatoes to the simmering veggies, and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. I also use the whole broccoli, not just the florets as the recipe calls for. A mixture of half and half with the milk does wonders, as does a dash or two of cayenne pepper.

Also, I don't puree it in the blender. As Ina Garten says, "I don't want baby food." lol. I just use a potato masher to keep the texture.

Another thing , there is no need to use a separate pan for the roux. Just sprinkling some flour on the cooked veggies and cooking it through works fine. Add your milk until it's the consistency you like and enjoy.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting this.
I don't do a lot with cream soups and like to see a TNT recipe that someone endorses.
And it will give me an opportunnity to use my stick blender!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My ingredient list is the same, I steam the chopped broccoli until tender. I save the steaming water. Once the broccoli is tender, I sauté it with the onion, celery (and garlic) in butter, sprinkle the flour over and cook it out a little. Then I use the steaming water as "broth", must have something in it, it's green! Then add in my 1/2 & 1/2 at the end. No stick blender needed unless you want to chop up the broccoli a bit more.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice, Cheryl! Similar to mine, except I don't use any flour, I peel, chop, and boil the broccoli stalks and some florets in chicken broth, then use the "boat motor". Add a few nonblended florets too. Sometimes I use Half and Half, sometimes not. And Velveeta, added off heat!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

I do mine the same but I like a smoother soup so I use my stick blender,especially to blend in the stalks, leaving some of the tender florets to float around. I almost always add a small brick of Velveeta cheese cubes at the end and heat till blended.

Thanks for the reminder, it's a wonderful and easy stick to the ribs comfort food.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hey, KL Nice to see you! Where have your been hiding? Are you back?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thank you all for your replies and sharing your methods. I just might have to get myself a stick blender/boat motor. lol
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you all for your replies and sharing your methods. I just might have to get myself a stick blender/boat motor. lol
Oh, I can't make pumpkin soup without my boat motor...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay, what's a boat motor, a portable mixer, maybe? Please, y'all, don't confuse the Z.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A stick blender...Emeril always calls it a boat motor.

Tags
broccoli, cream, recipe, soup

Cream of Broccoli soup Hi all, here is the starting base I use for Cream of Broccoli soup, it's from allrecipes. I've made so many versions over the years and in my humble opinion, this is one of the best. [url=http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-cream-of-broccoli-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=best%20cream%20of%20broccoli%20soup&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page]Best Cream Of Broccoli Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com[/url] My additions are to add some cubed potatoes to the simmering veggies, and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. I also use the whole broccoli, not just the florets as the recipe calls for. :huh: A mixture of half and half with the milk does wonders, as does a dash or two of cayenne pepper. Also, I don't puree it in the blender. As Ina Garten says, "I don't want baby food." lol. I just use a potato masher to keep the texture. Another thing :lol:, there is no need to use a separate pan for the roux. Just sprinkling some flour on the cooked veggies and cooking it through works fine. Add your milk until it's the consistency you like and enjoy. 3 stars 1 reviews