"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Master Chef
Soups/Stews & Stripping Thyme

Here's a real timesaving tip: If you're making a stew, soup, braise, etc., that calls for thyme & you're using fresh - don't bother stripping the leaves off the stems unless the sprigs are very small/short.

I made a wonderful New Year's Day "Cassoulet" (leftover Xmas roast goose, turkey bacon, turkey kielbasa, wine-poached chicken breast, white beans, etc., etc.) that called for both thyme & bay leaves. It occurred to me that since I was going to have to fish out the bay leaves anyway, I might as well search for the thyme sprigs as well - lol!! I also hate making up little cheesecloth herb bags or tying stuff together if I don't have to.

Tossed the bay leaves & whole thyme sprigs into the simmering white beans, & when they were done, it was easy as pie to find & remove not only the bay leaves, but the thyme sprigs, which were, by this time, completely devoid of all their leaves. All that remained were the now-skeletal stems. It worked great - the beans were nicely well-scented with both the bay & with the thyme, & there wasn't a stray stem in the entire dish.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Master Chef
I usually stuff them into a tea ball and let it simmer in the soup or stew.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Don't you just hate it when the bay leaf you can't find is stuck to the back of the spoon?

Walt Bulander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Lmao Walt. It happens quite often to me.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote