"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

My dh's favorite 5 are:
Cardamon
Nutmeg
Cloves
Sweet Basil
Bay leaves

Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #92
Executive Chef

Garlic
Ginger
Coriander
Oregano
Cinnamon

Chili powder, Allspice, and Mace would be honorable mentions.

I go through a lot of garlic, fresh and granulated. I use a lot of fresh onion and lime as seasoning but I don't really count them as herbs/spices, just flavorings. Otherwise they would knock oregano and allspice off the list. Black pepper would be number one but the OP said it doesn't count.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #93
Proud American

The top five spices of myself are: Black peppercorns (of the grinder), bay leaves, cayenne pepper, cumin, and nutmeg.

I also love the cinnamon and the paprika.

~Cat
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #94
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
I need your help! One of my next blogs will be on kitchen spices, so I would love it if you could help, by sharing your preferences with me

QUESTION: What FIVE spices do you tend to grab MOST OFTEN (not including Salt & Pepper)

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Garlic Powder
Fresh Nutmeg (grated)
Cinnamon
Tarragon
Oregano
cinnamon, nutmeg (whole, not ground), ginger, paprika and caraway seed (I love old-fashioned seed cake). Not necessarily in that order.

As you are writing an article about spices I'll throuw in other frequently used spices from my cupboard. I also have sumac, black, green, white and pink peppercorns, cayenne pepper, white and black mustard seeds and mustard powder (I see on various demos on Food Network that Mr Colman of Norfolk, England has managed to insinuate his yellow mustard powder into the USA).

I also have Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and their whole grain mustard in the 'fridge.

I cheat when it comes to making chilli. I use Schwartz mix for chilli con carne (the milder one) it's the one I like best and I've never managed to replicate it from scratch.

(Nit picking) tarragon and oregano are herbs not spices.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
cinnamon, nutmeg (whole, not ground), ginger, paprika and caraway seed (I love old-fashioned seed cake). Not necessarily in that order.

As you are writing an article about spices I'll throuw in other frequently used spices from my cupboard. I also have sumac, black, green, white and pink peppercorns, cayenne pepper, white and black mustard seeds and mustard powder (I see on various demos on Food Network that Mr Colman of Norfolk, England has managed to insinuate his yellow mustard powder into the USA).

I also have Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and their whole grain mustard in the 'fridge.

I cheat when it comes to making chilli. I use Schwartz mix for chilli con carne (the milder one) it's the one I like best and I've never managed to replicate it from scratch.

(Nit picking) tarragon and oregano are herbs not spices.
It's always a good idea to read the entire thread before nit-picking We discussed that. And since the thread was started last December, I figure the blog post is written and posted by now.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #96
Assistant Cook

garlic
sea salt
peppercorn
rosemary
parsley
Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #97
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I mix these together for my All Purpose spice blend and use on just about everything (I count it as 1 spice (blend)):

Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning
Accent (or MSG)
Salt
Ground peppercorn blend
Ground Hot red pepper flakes
Cayenne
Hungarian (hot and sweet) Paprika

Additional spices/herbs:
Smoked paprika
Dry oregano

MSMOFET, what do you use the Goya spices for? I love using the Sazon Goya in rice and would love to expand further with other Goya spices. Do you have any recipes you could send me? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #98
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenpeek View Post
MSMOFET, what do you use the Goya spices for? I love using the Sazon Goya in rice and would love to expand further with other Goya spices. Do you have any recipes you could send me? Thanks.
I only use Goya adobo - I use it to season just about everything.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #99
Assistant Cook

herbs as fresh garlic , onions ( white red or yellow),parsley,bay leaf, thyme,basil
spices in powder: curry, coriander,turmeric,paprika, ras el hanout (couscous spices).
Hot Dijon mustard, lemons, vinegars of cider, of wine or balsamic. Olive, sunflower,ground nut oils.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #100
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I know this thread is old, but let me throw my 5¢ in,
as Lucy Van Pelt would say…

Noh Kim Chee Mix
Sushi Powdered Mix
Hawaiian Sea Salt (medium grain in my salt grinder)
Sesame Seeds
Aloha Brand Shoyu (is that a spice or a condiment? I use it to spice everything)

(I'd add ground ginger and garlic for when I can't find fresh,
but not my favs)

Tags
other, spices