"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Cook

Containers for growing tomatoes

I heard that tomatoes need lots of space to grow. That you shouldn't crowd them, or they'll die. I know this from personal experience in attempting to grow them from seed as well. People tell me that the best containers for growing tomatoes are those empty 5 gallon containers (they're normally white with a handle on them, and used to store paint or powdered laundry detergent in). My boyfriend also says restaurants use the empty 5 gallon containers to store large quantities of sauce and food in them. However, I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to locate where I could get them. I tried doing a search via the internet but didn't really have any success.

If somebody could give me more information on this, and where to locate them I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You could try contacting a building or painting contractor in your area and see if they would let you have some after they use up some buckets of paint. These are probably available for free, but you could also use the same size of plastic planters available in garden and home centers; they're more decorative, if that matters to you They're probably on sale by this time of year. HTH.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

Is this what you are talking about? You should be able to purchase them at any local hardware store... and get the lids as well.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Go to the bakery department at you grocery store.
They buy huge buckets of filling, icing etc...
See if they have any empty ones or see if they can
save you some.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Cook

Yes those are exactly what I need. However, do you know where I can purchase them via the internet for a reasonable price? At $5.30 per container, that seems like a little much. I appreciate the other suggestions as to where to find them. Thanks to all who posted on this thread; appreciate you taking time out of your schedules to help.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Head Chef

If you live anywhere near new construction. Try their trash pile. Drywall mix, latex paint and lots of other stuff comes in these white buckets. Most of these are non toxic, so you should have no problem, and you will be keeping them out of the dump. Nothing sticks to them, so banging them on the ground gets rid of the dried contents.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueenigma View Post
I heard that tomatoes need lots of space to grow. That you shouldn't crowd them, or they'll die. I know this from personal experience in attempting to grow them from seed as well. People tell me that the best containers for growing tomatoes are those empty 5 gallon containers (they're normally white with a handle on them, and used to store paint or powdered laundry detergent in). My boyfriend also says restaurants use the empty 5 gallon containers to store large quantities of sauce and food in them. However, I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to locate where I could get them. I tried doing a search via the internet but didn't really have any success.

If somebody could give me more information on this, and where to locate them I'd appreciate it.
DH and I used the 5 gal spackle buckets last year, and this year! Planted on the deck, and one tomato plant per bucket.
Did peppers also. DH drilled 4 holes 2" up from bottom, and I added gravel to the holes, then soil!
It's a beautiful thing!! PS: did my herbs in them also! And I got the buckets in the dumpster on a construction site! OH! Just a word to the wise! Don't take any with the lid closed on it! those could provide a dirty, stinky, surprize when they are opened!
Could have been a porta-potty! If ya know what I mean!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have even used old milk crates with a trash can liner cut some slits in the bottom of trash bag add some styrofoam for draining. You might try the Dollar Stores for cheap storage containers just be sure to drill holes on the bottom so it can drain. And yes the 5 gallon buckets work great I would just call around to see if you can get some for free or use your imagination you can use old containers of all sorts as long as they are clean.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Interesting ideas. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Head Chef

Old laundry baskets (or dollar store purchases) lined with either trash bags or left over landscaping fabric work really well too.