"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help/tips Slow Cooking Ribs [limited!]??

Yesterday, my mom asked me the best way to cook ribs. As much cooking as I've done, ribs have been a rare part of that (unfortunately). I know a decent amount about chicken, beef, lamb, and SOME pork... but not much about ribs.

To make a long story short: what's the best way to cook ribs in my mother's specific situation? Her big, normal oven has been broken for almost 2 years. She has a counter top "oven" that's roughly 13 inches by 11 inches. A rack of ribs will fit... but she doesn't know the best way to cook it.

Seasoning? Got that decently down pat (although suggestions are always welcome!). I suggested to her that a basic rack of baby back ribs would probably be best to do 4 hours @ 250 degrees, but this is really all assumption. Bless her heart, she's been boiling & "grill marking" them for years... but I don't have much knowledge to argue her methods!!

All help is appreciated. Cooking times, recipes, seasonings, cooking temperatures... everything.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Here's how I do my BABYBACK RIBS:

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Cook

Hi. I have been dealing with limited equipment and space for a couple years now, and I still cook ribs. You can slow cook, or better yet poach the ribs until tender in a wok or deep pan on top of an element. Add some onions, garlic and stock for flavor infusion.

Once cooked, you can set in the fridge for another day, or send them right under the broiler in your oven just to finish with BBQ or Honey Garlic sauce and add some colour. I posted a picture of ribs done just this way in the gallery here: Bbq Ribs - Pork ribs poached then glazed with barbecue sauce in the oven, served with green fruit salad. Cooking Photo Gallery
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrummyApartment View Post
Hi. I have been dealing with limited equipment and space for a couple years now, and I still cook ribs. You can slow cook, or better yet poach the ribs until tender in a wok or deep pan on top of an element. Add some onions, garlic and stock for flavor infusion.

Once cooked, you can set in the fridge for another day, or send them right under the broiler in your oven just to finish with BBQ or Honey Garlic sauce and add some colour. I posted a picture of ribs done just this way in the gallery here: Bbq Ribs - Pork ribs poached then glazed with barbecue sauce in the oven, served with green fruit salad. Cooking Photo Gallery
Sounds good. I've been craving BBQ ribs for awhile but never thought of poaching. I'd bet it would also work to braise them low and slow in the oven.

Adding ribs to the grocery list now.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

Sorry to disagree with the poaching issue. Poaching gives you pork flavored water. I don't see why you can't use a tabletop oven for the oven ribs I do.
Season your baby back ribs however you like and wrap the ribs (meat side down) completely in heavy duty foil, making sure you have an air tight package. Place on a pan and cook at 275degrees for two hours. Remove ribs from foil package and replace on the pan. Brush both sides with barbecue sauce (I like Jack Daniels Sauce), and put back into the oven at 400 degrees for about a half hour till sauce is bubbly and looks the way you like it. I never do ribs any other way and always have great results.

By the way, welcome to DC!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sorry to disagree with the poaching issue. Poaching gives you pork flavored water. I don't see why you can't use a tabletop oven for the oven ribs I do.
Only if you use water to begin with. But by starting with a stock and adding aromatics you are infusing the meat with flavor, not the other way around. In addition, another tip I did not mention is to reduce that stock after the ribs are done and use it to add to a BBQ sauce recipe (or even ready made)... turns out amazing!

No need to apologize about disagreeing either. I think Ribs are one of those items that has as many variations as there are cooks. Your way sounds interesting too! I have just replicated a home system here that is often used in professional kitchens. Process is utmost important in restaurants and in this way you are guaranteed flavor, precise tenderness and quick service.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm not sure if original question was about baby ribs. Some how I envisioned regula cow ribs. This is what I do. Dry rub the ribs all over and slow cook them over night in the oven. Take them out in the morning before going to work. When I come back I fire up the grill throw ribs oon the grill , when they are prety hot I smothere them in your favorite BBQ sauce, when sause is hot serve. That simple. If there is no grill they can go back in the oven.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrummyApartment View Post
Only if you use water to begin with. But by starting with a stock and adding aromatics you are infusing the meat with flavor, not the other way around. In addition, another tip I did not mention is to reduce that stock after the ribs are done and use it to add to a BBQ sauce recipe (or even ready made)... turns out amazing!
It's just the physics of cooking that the liquid in the meat is forced out into the cooking water. That's how broth and stock are made. So you'll have pork and aromatic-flavored stock. Which might be why it's so tasty when it's reduced.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

There is really no reason to parboil ribs before putting them into the oven. Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats doing baby backs entirely in the oven. I've tried this recipe and it makes very good ribs.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is really no reason to parboil ribs before putting them into the oven. Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats doing baby backs entirely in the oven. I've tried this recipe and it makes very good ribs.
I agree entirely. It just sucks flavor out of them.

I would be a bit nervous about the cleanup aspect of cooking ribs in such a small oven, though. But Im not sure I've actually seen one.

Tags
cooking