"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 08-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
Cook

Kitchenelf:

You've inadvertently established the reason why it's so hard to find a pleasing meatloaf recipe. There are so many possible ingredients that finding a winning combination isn't easy. You don't care for green peppers I can't imagine a meatloaf without bell peppers. To be sure they're properly cooked, I saute the peppers, onions, and garlic in a skillet until almost cooked through before incorporating them into the meat mixture.

I believe I can profit from your secret of GENTLY mixing the ingredients. I never could make up my mind to use implements or my hands. I have baked meat-loaves that were really too dense to be palatable.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I found the one I use and it's wonderful......Hope this is how I'm supposed to do this...

Meatloaf Recipe courtesy Food NetworkShow: Sara's Secrets Episode

Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yep - the perfect meatloaf has it in what you love. As far as gentle handling I even go so far as to put all the ingredients in a center well (the outside of course being the meat and that is also dotted around with the various meats). I gently fold with hands from the outside to the middle while rotating the bowl. I also don't form a loaf - I place chunks of meat in my 9 x 9 clay casserole dish. This seems to keep it nice and light!

Whatever you do I hope it turns out wonderful!!! I also prefer a portobello mushroom bourbon gravy. I think why I went this somewhat "fancier" route is exactly because of the trouble you are having. Mine just never really turned out. BUT, if someone else made it it was awesome!

EDITED TO SAY: I've changed my mind 4 times on what I'm having for supper tonight - I guess it's going to be meatloaf along with everyone else. Since I don't want to spend $50 on my groceries I'm going to go with a simple recipe with the tomato/vinegar type glaze on top - wish me luck!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Have you eaten one, that someone else cooked, that didn't make you wince???
Yes, many times. My ex-wife would get apoplectic if I asked about recipes she regarded it a personal insult because it implied she wasn't a great cook (which assuredly she wasn't). I ate a great meatloaf in a dump of an eatery in New York City while on the road years ago and when I asked the owner about it, he thought I was insulting him and started cursing.

I've had a tough life as you can see.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Here's my take on Meatloaf:
Mama mia what a meatloaf!

It looks like I'll be testing meatloaf for months I hope readers are taking advantage of these terrific recipes. I must say however, I'm sorry you, like ELF don't like bell peppers either I'm beginning to feel like a freak
Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

This should keep you busy for years Here's mine.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mignon
Yes, many times.
Maybe you could return to one of those times/places/people in search for your "Holy Grail" of meatloaf recipes and methodology....Also, I often times don't enjoy a dish the day I prepare it...to many smells, to many little tasting along, etc. Try making your meat loaf...refrigerate it...cook it the next day. The flavors will mix, and your olfactory senses will have cleared...You may be surprised at what you have created....

Have Fun, and Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This should keep you busy for years Here's mine.
I could easily live with your Betty Crocker recipe except for the 1 cup of milk. That much milk staggers me! I make my meat loaf in one pan with holes in it that fits into an outer pan. That cup of milk would probably drain out the bottom taking all the seasoning with it. Does your loaf stay together with all that liquid?

While I don't want a leftover slab of marble for sandwiches, neither do I want leftover meatloaf that stay together. Speaking of marble, I once made a meatloaf that was so firm, it took two of us to slice it.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Everymom

OK, is the no milk stipulation a religious one or just a preference? My suggestion is that you soak some bread crumbs or cubes in milk, season them and then gently fold that in with your meat mixture. I'm not a fan of ketchup on top of mine either as I much prefer gravy but hey, to each his own. I think the soaked bread will solve your texture problems. If I am not mistaken mostly what you are looking for is a texture fix as you seem to know what flavours you want in your meatloaf yes?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
Master Chef

I've never used a recipe for meatloaf, and always made it differently each time and hubby had no complaints, he would say something if it was not tasty.

Tags
None