"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Master Chef

Gordon Ramsay (Merged)

I have to admit that I used to hate Gordon Ramsay based on his "Hell's Kitchen" show, which I still don't like due to the way he treats those "students", such as they are. I know they need to learn that the restaurant business isn't an easy life, but still. . . .

However, at the same time I've recently found myself virtually ADDICTED to his other two shows: "The 'f' Word" & "Kitchen Nightmares". Language & abuse or not, I'm mesmerized - with "Kitchen Nightmares" in particular.

I just finished watching the season he spent in the U.S., & was particularly interested in the show he did revamping "The Seascape" on Long Island, NY, since I'd actually dined there back in the '70's when it was a true seafood-dining landmark. But regardless of the restaurant, it's both intriguing & appalling to see how disgusting some of these restaurants are behind the scenes. I mean, having spent a few years waitressing back in my younger days, I have no starry-eyed illusions about the restaurant business, but some of these places - my God!!

"The 'f' Word" I find fun for the cooking & the outside bits & snips of food life in the UK, along with Gordon's experiments with raising his own livestock.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Everymom

I've only just caught a few episodes here and there of Kitchen Nightmares, but holy moly some of those places (and chefs) need his help BADLY. He is one talented guy from what I've seen. Blunt to the point of pain though.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I like watching his shows, I don't care for name calling, but he is super putting a restaurant back on it's feet. You know his places must be spotless and that the food is fresh and the taste outstanding.
kadesma
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I just watched the Nightmare show about the restaurant in NY with the roaches. All those bugs made my skin crawl - but the transformation was amazing!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I just watched the Nightmare show about the restaurant in NY with the roaches. All those bugs made my skin crawl - but the transformation was amazing!
Yes - the Indian place. And not only the roaches, but the flies breeding in the rotten lettuce. And the literally moldy green burgers/chicken/lamb they were STILL cooking & serving!!!!! Outrageous.

What I'd love to know is how they stage these things. Like with Martin, the manager at the Indian restaurant who quit on the spot/was-about-to-be-fired? Big argument between him & Ramsay, then his big "I quit" & being filmed walking down the street muttering to himself. This can't all be impromptu adlibs can they? How do they do this stuff?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I think he is too much a bully - I never learned anything
from someone threatening and screaming at me.
There is a famous chef in NY -Eric Rippert - when he instructs or
critiques he is quiet and gentle and IMHO much more effective than
Ramsey. I have a feeling Ramsey might be playing his part as
directed by the writers and producers.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Yes - the Indian place. And not only the roaches, but the flies breeding in the rotten lettuce. And the literally moldy green burgers/chicken/lamb they were STILL cooking & serving!!!!! Outrageous.

What I'd love to know is how they stage these things. Like with Martin, the manager at the Indian restaurant who quit on the spot/was-about-to-be-fired? Big argument between him & Ramsay, then his big "I quit" & being filmed walking down the street muttering to himself. This can't all be impromptu adlibs can they? How do they do this stuff?

Martin wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.He was set up,and didn't even see it coming.That particular episode's showdown between Ramsay and Martin,went beyond the the show.Martin was publicly humiliated in more ways than one.

If my memory is correct Martin tried to sue,it was dropped.Don't think he works in the food industry,not even as a busboy.

It's because of that show.We no longer eat out.

My husband and I have our 20th wedding anniversary coming up.I'm just dreading it.I know he's going to suggest we go out.*shudders*

Munky.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

While I take everything from Wikipedia with a grain of salt, this made for some interesting reading. And you're right ChefMunky - they do mention that "Martin" from that show did institute a lawsuit that was later dropped.

Gordon Ramsay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't give up dining out based on this show. I certainly haven't. Really - life is too short, & even with this show, it's very unlikely to get shorter via a very enjoyable dinner out at a nice restaurant. GO OUT FOR YOUR ANNIVERSARY & ENJOY!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Family

Almost all the family, uncles, aunts, grandma, mom, had to work in kitchens which weren't their own. They were always trying to prepare and clean the way they did at home. However, others did not feel the same way and what stories they have told me does make one wonder how the people can actually pay for the food they eat? Some people are so nasty and downright mean. If I would repeat some of the things they told me it would make you quit going out to eat. Even now, just remembering some of the upsetting stories makes me want to throw up.

Gordon Ramsay is only ONE in a million. How he can expect others to have his values really makes one want to hit his head against a wall. Using the language he does isn't appealing. However, in order to calm my words I drink wine. Which is worse? At least , it is red wine! Sometimes lots of it.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

I forgot to add that one thing I do extremely dislike about "The 'f' Word" show are the bits by Janet Street-Porter. Unpleasant looking & even more unpleasant sounding (& even more foul-mouthed than Gordon), this outspoken former newscaster who now appears as a regular on "The 'f" Word" just has me turning the sound off until her segment is over. How this woman got the accolades she apparently has (among a LOT of controversary) is beyond me. An unbelievably grating personality.