"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
From everything I have read, Hostess filed bankruptcy for the second time, but they have enough stock to last awhile. I read this evening that a few companies will likely be buying them out and that the Twinkie will be around for a long time. Does anyone remember the original flavor of Twinkies? If you said "Banana" you were right.
It sounds to me like they were selling the rights (and the recipes) to the goodies, but not the business. Maybe Little Debbie's will be making ho ho's or zingers or twinkles now???

Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Can't miss what you never eat.
So true!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #43
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
It sounds to me like they were selling the rights (and the recipes) to the goodies, but not the business. Maybe Little Debbie's will be making ho ho's or zingers or twinkles now???
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #44
Half Baked

No love loss here! Every one of those products is unhealthy and of poor quality. I understand the nostalgia aspect but I bet they contributed to many a peoples diabetes and obesity.

I prefer my diabetes and obesity to come from higher quality products thank you very much! LOL

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #45
Executive Chef

i've forgotten the particulars in the murder case involving twinkies years ago. did the twinkie defense prevail? i don't think it would fly today, though there are more than enough sugar laden cakes out there for ambitious defense lawyers to use....
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #46
Executive Chef

when it's after three o'clock in the morning, and sleep still won't come, i sometimes go to cnn news to catch up with current events. here's what i found instead: a thanksgiving turkey named turtwinkie. turtwinkies are called that because they are stuffed with twinkiie cakes! they are being served in one new york restaurant, and people pay good money for a turkey caramelized with the sugary cream filling of a twinkie cake. the stuffing of the bird incorporates the cake-like parts of the twinkies.

the recipe for the twinkie turkey apparently originated with a mother whose son didn't like turkey, but did very much like to eat plenty of twinkies. thus, the twinkie turkey was born, and mother and son introduced a new thanksgiving tradition for their family to carry forward....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
From everything I have read, Hostess filed bankruptcy for the second time, but they have enough stock to last awhile. I read this evening that a few companies will likely be buying them out and that the Twinkie will be around for a long time. Does anyone remember the original flavor of Twinkies? If you said "Banana" you were right.
World War II came along and made it very difficult if not impossible to get bananas. So they had to change to the cream filling.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i've forgotten the particulars in the murder case involving twinkies years ago. did the twinkie defense prevail? i don't think it would fly today, though there are more than enough sugar laden cakes out there for ambitious defense lawyers to use....
Yes, he was found "Not Guilty." Have you ever seen the movie "Milk?" It is all about that little piece of history. Milk was the name of the very popular gay elected city official that he murdered. He was the very first elected official to come out of the closet during the campaign. And since it took place in SF, he got elected. Sean Penn won an Oscar for Best Actor.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
when it's after three o'clock in the morning, and sleep still won't come, i sometimes go to cnn news to catch up with current events. here's what i found instead: a thanksgiving turkey named turtwinkie. turtwinkies are called that because they are stuffed with twinkiie cakes! they are being served in one new york restaurant, and people pay good money for a turkey caramelized with the sugary cream filling of a twinkie cake. the stuffing of the bird incorporates the cake-like parts of the twinkies.

the recipe for the twinkie turkey apparently originated with a mother whose son didn't like turkey, but did very much like to eat plenty of twinkies. thus, the twinkie turkey was born, and mother and son introduced a new thanksgiving tradition for their family to carry forward....
Things that make you say yuck! And I thought sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows was gross.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Ewww I dont like the sound of sweet potatoes and marshmallows either