"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Cook

amount of ingredients problem

I'm having problems with a recipe I got off the Food Network website.

The problem is that the recipe calls for 2 chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), each cut up into 8 pieces. However, this is a bit much for me and I would prefer to use something like 1 pound of boneless, skinless, chicken strips (or whatever they're called). Do I need to change the amount of ingredients since I'll only be using 1 pound of chicken? If so, what should it be changed to?

Also, should it be ok to use a Fry Daddy instead of the deep cast iron skillet for deep frying?

Here's the recipe:

1 quart buttermilk, plus 2 cups
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder, or 2 tablespoons hot sauce, plus 2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder, or cayenne pepper
2 chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), each cut up into 8 pieces
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
Peanut oil, for deep-frying

In a large bowl or baking dish, whisk together 1 quart of the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons salt, 2 teaspoons of chile de arbol powder, or hot sauce, and a little bit of pepper, if desired. Add the chicken pieces, turn to coat, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place the remaining 2 cups of buttermilk in a bowl. Stir together the flour, garlic and onion powders, paprika, and 2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder (or cayenne) in a large bowl. Divide flour mixture among 2 shallow platters and season generously with salt and pepper. Drain the chicken in a colander and pat it dry. Dredge the pieces a few at a time in the flour mixture and pat off excess, then dip in the buttermilk and allow excess to drain off. Dredge in the second plate of flour and pat off the excess. Put the chicken pieces on a piece of waxed paper or on a clean platter while you heat the oil.

Pour about 3 inches of oil into a deep cast iron skillet; the oil should not come more than halfway up the sides of the pot. Put the pot over medium-high heat and heat the oil to 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time and fry, turning the pieces occasionally, until evenly golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a rack to drain; repeat to cook the remaining pieces. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

I would 1/2 the recipe, and cut the coating mixture in 1/2 or mix up the call for amount, place it in jar and use 1/2 of it and save the rest for another time. sounds good. Who was cooking it on the Food Channel?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

This is just a method to fry chicken. Easily halve the ingredients. Of course use the Fry Daddy.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You should reduce the ingredients by at LEAST half. The other ingredients are for two 3-4 pound chickens. You want to use a pound of boneless breast.
You can use your Fry Daddy.

You can also change the ingredients if you don't like the taste of this combination of seasonings.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Cook

Thanks guys/girls. I'll make sure to half the recipe. I just hope I don't screw up the measurements. I'm really good at doing that. Measurements = math, and math isn't my thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook
Who was cooking it on the Food Channel?
Bobby Flay. It was on his show Boy Meets Grill, I think the episode was called Fried Chicken. I never watch any of his shows. His wife, Stephanie March (an actress) was helping him on this episode so I had to watch as I'm a huge, HUGE fan of hers. The food looked so yummy and she was eating it and I just had to get those recipes and make it myself. The things we obsessive fans do.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbb87
Bobby Flay. It was on his show Boy Meets Grill, I think the episode was called Fried Chicken. I never watch any of his shows. His wife, Stephanie March (an actress) was helping him on this episode so I had to watch as I'm a huge, HUGE fan of hers. The food looked so yummy and she was eating it and I just had to get those recipes and make it myself. The things we obsessive fans do.
Bobby's a lucky boy! I got hooked on Stephanie March when she was the ADA on Law & Order, SVU.

I'm coming around to being a Bobby fan too. He bugged me at first, but I can't really say why cause I don't know. This does sound like a good recipe. Good luck and let us know how it went!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Master Chef

Yeah, ingredients in this particular case are really not that important, you’d just have a lot of waste if you use the whole amounts, what is important is chicken it self. This recipe is called for bone in skin on chicken for reason. If you use skinless boneless chicken breast, you will be wasting both ingredients and the chicken. You will not get that effect you are shooting for if you use chicken breast. That would be my concern. Otherwise, flour is cheap, so is buttermilk.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

CharlieD makes a very good point. Fried chicken using cut up chickens with skin and bone intact will taste a lot better than boneless skinless breasts.

Tags
None