"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Beer Can Chicken

I am going to make some Beer Can Chicken in my smoker today.

1 3-4 pound chicken
1 can premium beer
2/3 cup Apple Juice
Salt and Pepper

if you don't have a smoker then just cook on a covered grill using the indirect method.

Light coals
Drink the beer
Pour the apple juice in the can
Season chicken with salt and pepper
Place chicken on beer can so chicken is sittin on the "throne"
Cook till meat thermometer reaches 175 F

Old 09-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i love the beer can duck and geese

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here ya go Darkstream! Not exacly the one I was looking for, but it'll work. My father in law left the beer in the can for a change.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I went to Fla. this weekend to visit family..I usually bring my dry rub along w/me to make what we call beer butt chicken..but this time I left the rub home thinking they must be bored by this dish by now..well I got there and the request came in..off to the store we went to pick up some fresh spices...and 2 chickens.....I guess when something is good you dont get bored!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
EVERY July 4th we do it. We also had a Labor Day picnic/gathering - made burgers - everyone wanted to know where the beer butt chickens were. :?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
Senior Cook

This is absolutely extraordinary. Never heard of or imagined anything like it.

Does anybody have a picture of one of these birds cooking they could post?

I would have loved to have tried this, but ufortunately that kind of dish is virtual poison to me now.

But maybe I could adapt it if I saw one cooking. Hmmm....
Old 11-02-2004, 07:15 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

There's a pic of some birds Rainee did this way here:

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewto...sc&start=0
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
This is absolutely extraordinary. Never heard of or imagined anything like it.

Does anybody have a picture of one of these birds cooking they could post?

I would have loved to have tried this, but ufortunately that kind of dish is virtual poison to me now.

But maybe I could adapt it if I saw one cooking. Hmmm....
I put a web page together last year, because there was so many people in my family who wanted to know about this; maybe you can get something out of it too!

Beer Can Chicken

Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Amazing!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I can still remember this post and it still haunts me. Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm2k
I have noticed a few things/recipes/ideas in here for beer can chicken. I am real wary of this and can validate my worries. I do not believe this is safe at all and just on principles would warn everyone against it unless you do it in a safe manner. The melting point of aluminum (pure) is 660.37 °C or 1220.666 °F. Most "beer" cans are not "pure" aluminum and contain various other elements, including the paint on the can. I figure that you're cooking this painted can to at least 1/3 of its melting point for whatever meat, steaks or chicken, some ppl do fajitas this way. So, you're definately smoking and infusing all the paint fumes at the least and who knows what else into a raw chicken. I suspect the melt point on a beer can is alot lower than that stated for pure aluminum, probably like 900-1000F, heck maybe lower than what your cooking it at. To see what I mean do this, take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water. Put a bic lighter or a torch on a low flame to the outside of the cup. As long as you do not "pressure burst" with the flame you can hold the flame there a long time, it will only burn the cup down to the level of the liquid, even on the outer layers, all the way to the bottom of the cup, it will still hold water, so you could pour the beer in a styrofoam cup as long as the grill was cool and flat as you set it down (I think), and cook the chicken over that. I suspect this is the same with the aluminum can, the liquid is preventing the final breakdown. An easy test would be to set your gril at the specified temp, weigh a totally empty beer can, put the can in a cast iron skillet and let it sit in the grill for like 4 hours. See what happens. I am not going to do this as I am not that bored and would not cook anything like this anyway, but I just wanted people to realize this may be very dangerous, and/or have implications to your health as yet unknown. I smoke so I don't care, counting on the big C or a MI to take me out lol. There are all kinds of info sites regarding links between Alzheimers and Aluminum, just google it. I just think smoking, eating metal isn't real healthy, have a marlboro and take a geritol iron pill if you need both. For the "beer can chicken" , take a oven safe (to like 600f) stoneware mug, knock the handle off of it and put the chicken over that after you pour a beer into it and proceed as recipe states. The can is not a fundamental part of this recipe (or if it is and ppl say it tastes different with a can than with a stone or iron, then guess what, they like the taste of aluminum, it should not taste much different, but makes you think about all the things of whether beer taste better in a bottle or a can, should be same right?), you can cut the chicken up and do it in a dutch oven, or don't cut it, the beer and the steaming process is the main thing. Just a warning, like I said, I do not know and no proof exists but a thin piece of metal on hi temp seems that metal is going to melt and go somewhere, and you may eat it.

Tags
None