"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Chicken thighs in pesto cream sauce

Chicken Thighs in Pesto Cream Sauce

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 or 4 strips
2 or 3 strips bacon, diced
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half
healthy dollop of pesto (heaping tablespoon or two)

Saute bacon for a minute or two, then add olive oil and chicken thighs. Saute until done, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Saute onion and garlic until soft. Deglaze pan with white wine. Add half and half and pesto, simmer for a couple of minutes. Return chicken and bacon to pan, simmer for another minute or two. Toss with cooked pasta of your choice. My wife prefers TJ's spinach linguine over the penne that I have made it with.

I haven't done it, but I think some roast red pepper strips would make a good addition. I'll probably do this the next time.

This dinner was inspired by a meal I had at a restaurant a year or two ago. They used chicken breast strips and prosciutto (and I can't remember if there was anything else), but this version has a lot stronger flavor.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

This sounds delicious, tenspeed. Thank you for sharing. I also think your idea of roasted red pepper would be a great addition.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm going to try this one. It is inherently low carb.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Will give it a try.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks Speed for writing this up! I'm always looking for tasty low carb dishes, and this will be made soon! I'll serve mine over wilted spinach. Yum!
Edit: Just found the boneless chicky thighs in the freezer. Tonight's the night!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well, that was a winner of a recipe! I added 1/3C diced colored bell peppers, and 1/3C
frozen artichoke wedges. The pesto cream sauce broke on me but it was fixable with a little pasta water.
I'll make this often, and thanks again TS.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Well, that was a winner of a recipe! I added 1/3C diced colored bell peppers, and 1/3C
frozen artichoke wedges. The pesto cream sauce broke on me but it was fixable with a little pasta water.
I'll make this often, and thanks again TS.
Glad you enjoyed it. The restaurant I had the meal at moved to Maine, then closed. I found the following menu listing on an archive. You are right about the artichoke hearts! It's been a while since I had the meal and didn't remember them.

Chicken Pesto
Penne, pan seared chicken, prosciutto, artichoke hearts, fresh basil pesto, cream, romano, parmesan
Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
Cook

Thumbs up

Sounds flavorful!!!!! Especially paired of Pesto with with the cream is a great idea.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds really yummy. I have just about that much pesto in the freezer from last summer's garden.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I added 1/3C diced colored bell peppers, and 1/3C
frozen artichoke wedges.
Wot? Making substitutions on my recipe?

I made this with artichokes last night. My wife agrees that it's an improvement, and she really liked the original version. I still want to try roast red peppers - maybe along with artichokes.

Tags
bacon, chicken, chicken thigh, cream, pesto, recipe, sauce

Chicken thighs in pesto cream sauce Chicken Thighs in Pesto Cream Sauce 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 or 4 strips 2 or 3 strips bacon, diced 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half healthy dollop of pesto (heaping tablespoon or two) Saute bacon for a minute or two, then add olive oil and chicken thighs. Saute until done, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Deglaze pan with white wine. Add half and half and pesto, simmer for a couple of minutes. Return chicken and bacon to pan, simmer for another minute or two. Toss with cooked pasta of your choice. My wife prefers TJ's spinach linguine over the penne that I have made it with. I haven't done it, but I think some roast red pepper strips would make a good addition. I'll probably do this the next time. This dinner was inspired by a meal I had at a restaurant a year or two ago. They used chicken breast strips and prosciutto (and I can't remember if there was anything else), but this version has a lot stronger flavor. 3 stars 1 reviews