"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Head Chef
Like I said earlier, coat the chicken chunks in flour/cornstarch, deep fry. It depends on what flavor you want as for a sauce. And as you said you want it for salads, I wouldn't use a sauce, least of all a curry sauce.
If you want it spicy, then do a buffalo wings sauce. if you want sweet and sour, then toss in sweet and sour.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by rookies View Post
THank you for your nice imput on this. So how do you fry your chicken and which sauce do you use for me to try,,

I love to get it something like this but I know I wont be able to

That chicken looks to have been cooked in a Tandoor. It also has red food colering.

You could Google "oven tandoori chicken" and see what you come up with.

My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Head Chef
Rookie, Chicken Tikka may mean Chicken chunks but not all chicken chunks are tikkas. Plus Chicken Tikka is never fried by coating it in cornstarch - sorry Wyogal.

I have not seen the links that you got but I agree there are many recipes, since you asked for input from members on this forum and I happen to be Indian I can give you how I make it.

I like to make my tikka seperate from how tandoori chicken is made. Chicken tikka needs a more delicate spice blend than what tandoori chicken has.

Also you don't really need a tandoor to make it. The best substitute would be a charcoal grill but you can use anything from a regular oven to a George Foreman to a stove top grill.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (8) - Cut into strips then into chunks

Make a marinade:

Blend the following
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of yogurt or sour cream
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, Handful of fresh mint, 2 green chilis
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 cup of raw cashews (unroasted)

Place the chicken chunks in a bowl and pour the marinade

Let it sit in the refrigerator for two hours.

Now thread them into skewers and cook them on a grill or oven. Broil them if cooking in an oven for the last 10-15 minutes so they get charred along the edges.

Serve with some sauted onions and bell peppers and some lime wedges. You can also buy some readymade garlic or chili naan as a starch accompainment.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Head Chef
yep, you are right.
I've done chicken tenders this way, marinating in a yogurt-based sauce then grilling.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #15
Head Chef
Originally Posted by rookies View Post
Has anyone got a nice Chicken Tikka recipe that I can serve with salads
rookies! there r numerous scratch recipes for chicken tikka and chicken tanduri that r not that complicated to make.Still if u r looking for even an easier way to come up with some authentic chicken tikka,then i will recommend SHAN TANDOORI MASALA or SHAN CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA(spice mix).These r premixed spices for chicken tika and tanduri chicken,with a brand name of Shan.When u use these,be careful with the quantities,just dont use the whole pack in one recipe,as these tend to be hot!but they will surely give u the authentic taste that u r looking for!plus they r easy as pie!!!
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
Senior Cook

here is one
Chicken Tikka - Recipe for Chicken Tikka - How to make grilled Chicken Tikka
Mexican Food
mexican mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Hi guys many thanks for your help on all this. I am going to give them all a go over the weekend and come back with my results :) I am a big fan in Indian foods and I love to be able to start cooking some lovely meals.

rookies is offline   Reply With Quote