"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's a good reason to get the free Our Groceries app. You can create shopping lists for different stores. I have one for the Mexican store, the thrift store, etc.
We have it. I downloaded the app the very first time I read about here. I think it was Steve who provided the info.
Has anyone tried the pay version? I wonder if its better and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
And of course salted tostones for a snack.
Love them. Love them!

Quote:
Yes, I make them for breakfast to go along with a roll and coffee. In Cuba the best maduros came from red skinned plaintains that I haven't seen in the U.S. The ones we get here aren't as sweet.
As a kid, my breakfast was a slice of Cuban bread with butter and a cup of Cuban coffee with milk and sugar.
My wife loves Cuban coffee and we have a few of those stove top Cuban coffee makers.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We have it. I downloaded the app the very first time I read about here. I think it was Steve who provided the info.

Love them. Love them!

As a kid, my breakfast was a slice of Cuban bread with butter and a cup of Cuban coffee with milk and sugar.
My wife loves Cuban coffee and we have a few of those stove top Cuban coffee makers.
In Cuba we often ate fried bananas with rice and a roll for breakfast. Sometimes we had other fruits - mamey, mamoncillo etc. Even as child they gave me cafe con leche (latte.) Everybody drank Cuban coffee. It was as universal as the guayabera and Panama hat.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
taxlady has the paid version. It gets rid of the ads, you can add things by using taking a picture of the bar code, and you can add pictures of items. Not sure if there's anything else.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
Executive Chef

When you mention Cuban coffee do you mean Colada? I can only handle a few of those tiny little cups of it. If I drink more, I'll be awake for days!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I've never heard the word colada applied to coffee but Cuban coffee is pretty much the same thing as Italian espresso and it is prepared the same way.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've never heard the word colada applied to coffee but Cuban coffee is pretty much the same thing as Italian espresso and it is prepared the same way.
That is how I order it, as colada. It comes in a styro cup, about 8oz and they give you these tiny paper cups, about 1oz. It is heavily sugared and packs a caffeine punch.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
That is how I order it, as colada. It comes in a styro cup, about 8oz and they give you these tiny paper cups, about 1oz. It is heavily sugared and packs a caffeine punch.
That's Cuban coffee. Colada usually refers to doing laundry. I'm not sure why one would use it to describe a serving of coffee. But then they refer to pineapple that way with the well known Puerto Rican cocktail. But you learn something every day.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
taxlady has the paid version. It gets rid of the ads, you can add things by using taking a picture of the bar code, and you can add pictures of items. Not sure if there's anything else.
Thanks GG. Sounds like the free version is good enough for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When you mention Cuban coffee do you mean Colada? I can only handle a few of those tiny little cups of it. If I drink more, I'll be awake for days!
I never heard that term before. But I have had the espresso many, many times. I think the sugar plays a big part in the speed like effects.
What we had at breakfast as kids was the espresso, mixed with heated milk and sugar. Coffe-Con- Leche. Mostly hot milk. Please excuse my spelling.

Quote:
That's Cuban coffee. Colada usually refers to doing laundry. I'm not sure why one would use it to describe a serving of coffee. But then they refer to pineapple that way with the well known Puerto Rican cocktail. But you learn something every day.
I never heard of it either. But I don't speak Spanish either.
I wish my parents taught Spanish in the home and let us learn English at school.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
My understanding is that the "colada" refers to the coconut in the drink. "Piņa" is the pineapple.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't comment on that, but I love a frozen piņa colada on a hot summer day.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #30
Head Chef

Colada might be a South Florida thing. It refers to coffee for a group. As Craig wrote, you get a big styro cup and several little "pill" cups. Super sweet. Google "cuban coffee colada" if you are interested in reading more.

I made the mistake of using it to make Irish/Cuban coffee once, had three 8-ounce cups (half coffee, half whisky, whipped cream, couple spoonfuls of sugar). Got about 3 hours sleep in 2 days when I finally started to come down.

The term has absolutely nothing to do with the drink pina colada.

Tags
chicken, recipe, rice

Cuban Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken) I was raised in Cuba as a child and have always enjoyed my grandmother's traditional arroz con pollo. The recipe is in my head and normally done by feel but I'll do my best to nail it down here. The Spanish or Latino triad is called sofrito and is composed of onion, bell pepper (or pimiento) and garlic. You will see it used in many Latino dishes including this one. Ingredients 1 cup long grain rice 2 chicken breasts 2 cups chicken stock 1 healthy pinch of Spanish or Iranian saffron 1 onion, chopped 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced salt and pepper to taste olive oil Start by preparing the saffron. Put the saffron threads into a small ramekin or cup and add just enough water to cover it. Saffron releases its color and flavor in water, not in oil so you want to steep it a little. The result will be red threads in bright yellow water. put a glug of olive oil in a large sauce pan and heat it. Add the chopped onions, pepper and half the garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the rice. Cook for a couple of minutes to allow the rice to pick up the flavors. Add the stock, cover the pan and bring it to a near boil. Turn it down to a simmer and set the timer for 20 minutes. Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices or a large dice as you prefer. Brown the chicken in a hot skillet with some olive oil, salt, pepper and th other half of the garlic. This should take less than 5 minutes. Now add the chicken and saffron (threads and water) to the pot and stir it up well. Recover the pot and smack your lips as you wait for the rice to finish its 20 minute cook time. The rice should have a strong yellow color when done. I usually serve it with fried plantain and Cuban (espresso) coffee. You can also prepare it without the chicken and it becomes a popular side dish called arroz cubano. I've seen it prepared like risotto but in my experience that tends to overcook the chicken. Hope you enjoy it. 3 stars 1 reviews