"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Smile ISO uses for boiled chicken from stock

What can I do with the boiled chicken from the stock....it's been simmering quite a bit, so it'll be good and cooked...Thanks in advance for your advice DC'rs!!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The first thing that came to my mind is to chop some of it up, season it and use it in chicken tacos. Then you could make a nice creamed chicken dish over noodles or rice. There's also the possibility of making chicken croquettes. I've also made a nice thick chicken soup and added a good portion of the cooked chopped chicken to it, along with all the veggies, etc.

There are certainly more possibilities, but these are the ones I initially thought of.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have found that the meat that goes into my stock ends up very bland and kinda.. bleh.

I pitch it.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
I have found that the meat that goes into my stock ends up very bland and kinda.. bleh.

I pitch it.
Me too.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I take my chicken out when it is done, but not overcooked. I strip the meat off the bones and freeze; then I throw the bones back into the stock if more flavor is needed.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I take the chicken out before it gets overdone, and I usually grill it. It puts a little crunch on the outside and it stays super juicy on the inside. It's my favorite way to do legs and thighs. I have made it the chicken into soup, made chicken salad, but most times I just eat it. There are several reasons I do this the first being, I don't have a disposable food budget, and I make my own stock as a cost cutting measure. That means that any veggies or herbs getting close to expiration, chicken and some onions have a nice bubbly bath. The second is that I can kill two birds with one stone, what results is several cups of stock and 2 meals.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I take my chicken out when it is done, but not overcooked. I strip the meat off the bones and freeze; then I throw the bones back into the stock if more flavor is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
I take the chicken out before it gets overdone, and I usually grill it. It puts a little crunch on the outside and it stays super juicy on the inside. It's my favorite way to do legs and thighs. I have made it the chicken into soup, made chicken salad, but most times I just eat it. There are several reasons I do this the first being, I don't have a disposable food budget, and I make my own stock as a cost cutting measure. That means that any veggies or herbs getting close to expiration, chicken and some onions have a nice bubbly bath. The second is that I can kill two birds with one stone, what results is several cups of stock and 2 meals.

This is the right way to go. Simmering chicken for the hours required to extract the flavors and gelatin from the bones with grossly overcook the meat. All the moisture and flavor will be gone.

So simmer for the time needed to cook the meat to the proper temp then remove the meat from the bones and return the bones to the pot for the rest of the simmer time. Use the juicy and flavorful meat as you would any cooked chicken.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is the right way to go. Simmering chicken for the hours required to extract the flavors and gelatin from the bones with grossly overcook the meat. All the moisture and flavor will be gone.

So simmer for the time needed to cook the meat to the proper temp then remove the meat from the bones and return the bones to the pot for the rest of the simmer time. Use the juicy and flavorful meat as you would any cooked chicken.
Y'all are absolutely right. I was on autopilot when I answered. I, too, remove my chicken before it becomes chicken "stuff" and return the bones to the pot for further cooking.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

buffalo chicken dip!

gotta run right now, but i'll post a link later. unless someone else can find it for me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another advantage of not overcooking the chicken is that it is extra delicious having exchanged flavors with the stock. It's juicy and very flavorful. Don't waste it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken