"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I haven't checked, but I will. But there's a bit of the carnivore in me that enjoys tearing a leg and thigh off the whole chicken myself.
Oh yeah, tearing it off the chicken is part of the enjoyment for me. I like gnawing on bones too.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #52
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh yeah, tearing it off the chicken is part of the enjoyment for me. I like gnawing on bones too.
I have yet to buy any vacuum packed white meat. But it is there in case I need some. Chicken salad comes to mind.
The leg quarters are still on the bone and I have bought them for soup.
You get 8 leg quarters for $4.99. 16 total pieces. Same price as the whole rotisserie chicken.

I always use a knife to separate parts.......

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #53
Really I Agree With you Rocklobster about Not sure if anybody mentioned sweet Thai chili sauce.
Visit my blog Baked Chicken Breast
Alex-Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #54
Executive Chef
I would like pulling off the meat and shredding it with some nice bar-b-que sauce to make sandwiches.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #55
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Does your Costco sell the meat in vacuum packages? Ours does.
The chickens that are not sold, are stripped from the bone and vacuum packed. Breast meat.
They also package the leg quarters with bone.

So if you just want meat, you can't get more fresh unless you cooked it yourself.

In another thread we had a member discussing this very thing. My remarks were that if the manufacturers were to discontinue the injection process, their product would suffer.
This kinda enforces that view IMO.
But you pay for the chicken by weight so you're paying through the nose for the salt water. Costco, etc., aren't doing this to give you juicy chicken. They're doing it for their profits. If they used better quality chickens which didn't need injections of salt water they wouldn't make as much money.

Over here manufacturers have to declare on the label if they have injected they birds with water. It's mostly the cheap, 3 for £10 birds that are treated thus and most of us are too clued-up to fall for the con.
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
When it's hot, we just dig into it like any other roasted chicken, like we'll do tonight with a veg and some spuds. I just got one at Costco today. I love the leftovers for a multitude of one dish wonders that take some time, like Italian Flag Casserole

I was happy to find a new item at Costco today...a two pound package of beautiful boneless skinless breast meat from their rotisserie chickens. I'll freeze it in two cup portions and have it when ever the mood strikes.
My feuding supermarket always puts out the day old rotisserie chicken parts (breasts, legs, thighs, wings) at a reduced price. Great for chicken salad sandwiches and other good ideas. I use the artisan bread with it.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote

chicken, other