Pretzel Hamburger Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
1 Cup Warm Water
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 Package Yeast

2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 teaspoons Salt
300 grams All Purpose Flour (2 1/2 cups)
More Flour for Dusting

1 tsp. Neutral Oil (Vegetable or light olive)

8 Cups Water
1/3 Cup Baking Soda

1 Egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon Water
Sesame Seeds
Parchment Paper

Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and let stand until bubbles start to form (approximately 5 minutes).

Combine flour, yeast mixture and salt. Knead until combined. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time.

Oil a bowl with oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size (approximately 1 hour).

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F

Add baking soda to the water and bring to a slow boil.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each into an even ball.

Boil the rolls for 30 seconds each side and remove.

Place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds and then cut desired pattern into the tops of each roll. Bake in the preheated oven until they reach the desired brown color, roughly 15 to 20 minutes.

Pretzel Hamburger Bun by powerplantop, on Flickr

James, those look really good! I have a couple of questions.

1. What does the baking soda do in this recipe?
2. Do these rolls have a hard crust?

The procedure never says where to use the melted butter. It appears to be in the mixing procedure after proofing the yeast, but just want to be certain.

I definitely plan to make these! :chef:

Last edited:
Thank you for the easy to follow directions and the pic, powerplant. These look wonderful, and easy enough that even I might be able to make them. :ermm::LOL: I'm certainly going to give 'er a try!

Thank you for the easy to follow directions and the pic, powerplant. These look wonderful, and easy enough that even I might be able to make them. :ermm::LOL: I'm certainly going to give 'er a try!

Your welcome, they are easy to make and very good.

Since I said I was going to attempt to make these this afternoon, I thought I should share my results. LOL. They are VERY good! Yeasty, and dense enough to hold up to a juicy burger. Mine, however, did not come out as pretty as powerplant's did. :ermm::LOL:

I forgot the melted butter! I printed out the recipe, and as I prepped everything I melted the butter, and had it ready. I had even read the later post where there was a question about when to add the butter, and it was answered. I forgot to add that into my printed copy, and the dough was already proofing when I realized my error. Maybe that's why they were less than pretty. :LOL: They sure are good though, and by golly, I'll try again. I'm not much of a baker, but I'm not giving up. :)

They are delicious, and thank you again for sharing, powerplant.

The single one was the one I set aside to use for my burger this afternoon, because it was the prettiest. The rest will definitely be used, probably warmed with butter for breakfasts. :yum:

I think I didn't roll them into balls well enough, and cut the decorative slashes a little too deep. :D

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
...The single one was the one I set aside to use for my burger this afternoon, because it was the prettiest. The rest will definitely be used, probably warmed with butter for breakfasts. :yum:

I think I didn't roll them into balls well enough, and cut the decorative slashes a little too deep. :D

Good for you! They look good to me. You can work on "pretty" for the next batch.

Thank you so much, Taxy, Andy, and James!

Taxy...no, I didn't use a FP. I just mixed it by hand, and it was very easy. In fact, I'm probably one of the only folks on this board that doesn't even own a FP. I just haven't seen much of a use for one.....yet. :ermm::)

Andy...you are so right. Edible comes first, and 'pretty' can come later. :cool:

You all have built up my confidence. I think I'll try French bread soon! Always wanted to make a loaf of French bread. :chef:

Last edited:
You have inspired this fellow bread making virgin Cheryl. :clap:
I might give these a shot myself just for kicks. I knew you were a kindred spirit when you forgot the butter. :mrgreen: ;)

Back
Top Bottom