"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Most of the squid you see in the stores, behind the seafood counter, is really not fresh. It comes in frozen and they thaw it out. If you are wanting fresh, I would ask if it is really fresh. I just buy the frozen, bread it lightly and it usually comes out great. I have tried the frozen rings and did not like them as much as the block of frozen squid.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Cook

I'm still working on perfecting calamari. I can't seem to get it well-coated with flour like you see at the restaurants. If you have been to Carabba's or similar you will know what I mean. It usually looks almost battered, and there is substantial (but very crispy) coating. Simply dredging the rings in seasoned flour doesn't get this intense coating I am looking for, it just adds a paper thin powder coating to the rings. As a result the calamari isn't very crispy / coated. Any tips?

tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
I'm still working on perfecting calamari. I can't seem to get it well-coated with flour like you see at the restaurants. If you have been to Carabba's or similar you will know what I mean. It usually looks almost battered, and there is substantial (but very crispy) coating. Simply dredging the rings in seasoned flour doesn't get this intense coating I am looking for, it just adds a paper thin powder coating to the rings. As a result the calamari isn't very crispy / coated. Any tips?
The calamari you see at places like Carabba's are pre-breaded and frozen. In order to achieve a similar result, you would need to first dry the calamari very well. then, dredge it in seasoned flour. third comes the egg wash, and fourth, in seasoned crumbs. If you let them set up in the fridge for a couple of hours, you will end up with the heavy breading that they achieve.

I prefer to just dip them in egg wash and into seasoned panko. They fry up much lighter that way, and still nice and crispy.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Cook

The finest calamari I've eaten came from Fulton's Crab House in downtown disney. They ship in the "bell" of the squid, soak it in milk overnight, cut it in strips about 3/8" thick(looks like fries) and serve it on a bed of spring mix salad with tomato basil sauce. Add a squeeze of lemon and it melts in your mouth. Very light breading.

Tags
calamari