"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Senior Cook
It is cool isn't it Snip, glad you like it. So handy, kids like using it so it has an added bonus in that it keeps them quiet for a long time, especially if they like olives and are allowed the stones to strip

Here's a link to one of my favourite olive recipes, it isn't for the faint hearted though, it has really gutsy flavours. Recipes2Share - Pork, Anchovy and Black Olive Stew on Polenta

Here's the recipe for the fish dish. I usually use sea bream or sea bass for this.
For two sea bream about 5 -6 medium potatoes cut into inch slices, a large pinch of saffron, about 2-3 chopped anchovy fillets, 1 largish onion - finely sliced, 2 medium sweet peppers at least one red the other orange or yellow or whatever is to hand, preferably not green, about 2 large cloves garlic, 2 or 3 small preserved lemons (or more if really liked) - quartered with pips and most of the flesh removed, as many green pitted olives as you like (I use a large handful). as many cherry toms as you like too - sorry no hard and fast amounts for some of the ingredients and if you don't have something that's fine too).
About 1 dessertspoons each of fresh chopped thyme, flat leafed parsley and basil. + 1 large sprig fresh thyme.

Put potato slices into a little very lightly salted water and add the saffron which has been dissolved in boiling water. Bring to the boil and turn off the heat for about 30 mins, turning over after 15.

Heat oven to gas mark 7. I don't know if US ovens are the same?

Drain the potatoes and put into a bowl with the anchovies - mix well with some olive oil, season with pepper, place in a layer on a baking tray or shallow casserole type dish. To the bowl (from the potatoes) add a little more oil, onions, peppers, mix well, season and spread over the potatoes and tuck in the sprigs of thyme.

Place on shelf near to top of oven and cook for approx 20-25 mins.

Meanwhile make 3 slashes on each side of the fish and rub in the herb (with s&p) mix and put the rest in the cavities.

Remove dish from the oven and scatter over the olives and preserved lemons, .

Place fish on top and place the tomatoes round the edges, drizzle with oil and cook for approx 15 mins (or until fish is cooked).

Hope you enjoy it.

If I don't have cherry toms I either leave them out or add quartered larger ones.

acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Master Chef
I will most certainly try these recipes :) We don't use gas ovens, we use electric but I have a conversions chart!

"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks for sharing
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
thank you so much for a great recipe acerbicacid I will try these recipes today
Alex-Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Hi Alex-Peter, thank you, so glad you like the recipe. I'd love to know what you think of it if you make it

Thanks also to you Kylie and Snip
acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
you welcome acerbicacid is wonderful recipe I'm try these recipe yesterday Taste was very cool , Thank you very much again
Alex-Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Head Chef
I bookmarked the pork ragu over polenta. I'll giving that one a try as soon as I find Boston Butt on sale. I had such great success with my last ragu I'm eager to give others a test run for comparison. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote