"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Addie,

I believe one of our colleague blogger members, Paid $2.95 USD Per Pound for lobster recently, this week ...

I believe she is going to freeze them for a Bisque.

Margi.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Twas I that got the lobster (cooked) for that. The recipe sounds really good but I can't eat pine nuts. Three pine nuts will kill me. Three percent (I think that is what the allergist told me) of people are allergic to pine nuts. Very small percentage of the population. Because pine nuts are the seed of the pignola, and not a nut, those of us who are allergic can usually eat peanuts, walnuts, almonds, etc. If I may, instead of putting "pine nuts" in the ingredients list, could you put "xx cups" nuts (e.g., walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.) to make it generic when one searches on the Internet because there are those who will follow the recipe to the exact and may not realize that there are those who are allergic to pine nuts since they are not a common NA ingredient?

That's my blurb for keeping me alive--a friend brought home frozen bruschetta--then realized that the pesto used had PINE NUTS in it. I asked if he was trying to kill me..., I can still get him to be so apologetic about that. Honest mistake, but when he said it had pesto in it, I said "let me see the ingredient list." Another reason I don't eat out often--doing so, could kill me.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

CWS, stay out of Italian restaurants. They love to cook with pine nuts. Just out of habit, anytime I am cooking for someone else, I always ask if they have any allergies. When I make something for the Church Fair or for Winthrop, I always label it whether it has nuts or not. Allergic reactions are no fun to deal with.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
CWS, stay out of Italian restaurants. They love to cook with pine nuts. Just out of habit, anytime I am cooking for someone else, I always ask if they have any allergies. When I make something for the Church Fair or for Winthrop, I always label it whether it has nuts or not. Allergic reactions are no fun to deal with.
Another reason I don't eat out. I always ask what nuts are in the kitchen, but because I am so allergic to pine nuts, I can't have them near anything I eat. Allergic reactions vary, but I have less then 10 minutes to be injected.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Another reason I don't eat out. I always ask what nuts are in the kitchen, but because I am so allergic to pine nuts, I can't have them near anything I eat. Allergic reactions vary, but I have less then 10 minutes to be injected.
I am allergic to penicillin and my sister due to rheumatic fever was on it for many months after she came home from the hospital. She took her two pills out of the bottle and put them on the table while she got her glass of water. I came along and sat down where the pills had been. I put my hands down where the pills were. The next thing I remember was waking up in the ER. Lesson learned. Until she had been off the medicine for more than two weeks, I couldn't even give her a hug.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am allergic to penicillin and my sister due to rheumatic fever was on it for many months after she came home from the hospital. She took her two pills out of the bottle and put them on the table while she got her glass of water. I came along and sat down where the pills had been. I put my hands down where the pills were. The next thing I remember was waking up in the ER. Lesson learned. Until she had been off the medicine for more than two weeks, I couldn't even give her a hug.
nightmare addie! does that mean you can't eat blue cheeses such as stilton & roquefort etc & soft cheeses with a mould rind like camembert & brie? as i understand it the blue veining & mould rind is either created by introducing a form of penicillin or from developing the penicillin mould naturally?
harry
Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
nightmare addie! does that mean you can't eat blue cheeses such as stilton & roquefort etc & soft cheeses with a mould rind like camembert & brie? as i understand it the blue veining & mould rind is either created by introducing a form of penicillin or from developing the penicillin mould naturally?
harry
I don't know and I don't want to take the chance of finding out that the answer is "No." I stay away from all molds. Whether they be in food or on a wall. My reaction to just touching the table top where the pills had been almost killed me. Fortunately, my sister was there and got me help real fast. I won't even touch mold cheeses in the store. Even if they are double wrapped. In my list of medical allergies, Penicillin are Heparin are in red. I can't even touch the skin of someone who is on penicillin. When my kids were small, the doctor could not give them penicillin because of me. No medicine ending in icillin. When I am in the hospital, they put a large piece of paper right over my bed in big red letters, Penicillin Heparin. And another sign is right outside my door. All medical personnel have to wash their hands, not just use the antibacterial gel before they can touch me in case they were with another patient that is on a icillin medicine. I often get question about what happens if I come in contact with it. And I have to tell them, "I don't know." And I don't. All I remember is sitting at the table and then coming to in the hospital. So it must be a very severe allergic reaction. At the time it didn't occur to me to ask what happened. All they told me was that I had an allergic reaction to my sister's medicine. I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day with warnings about staying away from my sister as long as she was on the medicine.

When someone tells me "I am allergic to...." I listen to them and don't poos pooh them. They may be just looking for attrention or trying to outdo someone who has a real allergy. But I don't want to find out that they are telling the truth.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef

two of my favourite squid dishes are calamari ripieni & pla muk yad sai.both delish,look impressive on the plate & dead simple to make.i use prepared squid about 4-5 inches(10-12cms) that i buy off the fish counter in my local tesco.cheap as chips too,one of the few seafoods that is cheap over here.
for the ripieni the squid tubes are stuffed with a mixture made up of the chopped tentacles,finely chopped garlic,peeled tomatoes,achovy fillets,parsley,breadcrumbs,black pepper,chilli flakes & an egg to bind.close the squid with wooden cocktail stick,pack tightly in a dish with a good glug of olive oil,half cup of dry white wine & a pinch of saffron(optional but i love saffron!).bake uncovered @ 350f(180c) for 40-45 mins.
for the pla muk stuff the squid with a mixture of finely ground pork,a paste made by pounding coriander(cilantro)root & garlic together with soy sauce & black pepper.fry the stuffed squid over a medium heat until coloured with chopped garlic & ginger then add some soaked shitake mushrooms,the soaking liquid,some oyster sauce,fish sauce & a pinch of sugar,cover & simmer for 5 mins then uncover & boil hard for 1 min to reduce the liquid.
sorry,just ingredients no exact measurements as i tend to cook by sense,increasing/decreasing ingedients 'til it tastes the way i like it
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't know and I don't want to take the chance of finding out that the answer is "No." I stay away from all molds. Whether they be in food or on a wall. My reaction to just touching the table top where the pills had been almost killed me. Fortunately, my sister was there and got me help real fast. I won't even touch mold cheeses in the store. Even if they are double wrapped. In my list of medical allergies, Penicillin are Heparin are in red. I can't even touch the skin of someone who is on penicillin. When my kids were small, the doctor could not give them penicillin because of me. No medicine ending in icillin. When I am in the hospital, they put a large piece of paper right over my bed in big red letters, Penicillin Heparin. And another sign is right outside my door. All medical personnel have to wash their hands, not just use the antibacterial gel before they can touch me in case they were with another patient that is on a icillin medicine. I often get question about what happens if I come in contact with it. And I have to tell them, "I don't know." And I don't. All I remember is sitting at the table and then coming to in the hospital. So it must be a very severe allergic reaction. At the time it didn't occur to me to ask what happened. All they told me was that I had an allergic reaction to my sister's medicine. I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day with warnings about staying away from my sister as long as she was on the medicine.

When someone tells me "I am allergic to...." I listen to them and don't poos pooh them. They may be just looking for attrention or trying to outdo someone who has a real allergy. But I don't want to find out that they are telling the truth.
count myself lucky that all i get is a touch of hayfever & that only lasts for a couple of weeks each year.........
Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Buongiorno CWS,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you are allergic to Pinenuts. However, do not fret ... The squid stuffing can easily be made without Pinenuts.

Can you eat Almonds ? Hazelnuts ? Pistachios ?
Almonds can be a good alternative ...

Mushrooms perhaps ... To provide a lightly earthy flavor and texture to the filling.

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi.

Tags
nuts, appetiser, ethnic, squid