"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Master Chef

Mussels

Went to a new buffet resturant yesterday. I tried things I'd never had before and this was one of them. They were in a broth in their shells. They were a little chewy and I think that was probably because they were cooked too long but not sure. The flavor was good though. So are they suppose to be chewy?

Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Head Chef

I love mussels, particularly mussels meuniere.

It is mussels in wine, shallots, butter, spices, just Google if you want a recipe.

Properly done they have a texture that I would not describe as chewy.

They should be fairly soft to the tooth.

But have been served many that were, indeed, chewy.

My guess is that their being in a buffet, they were a tad overdone.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

Yes, with mussels "chewy" = "overcooked", but so long as they were fresh & alive when cooked & kept at the proper temp on the buffet, they should have been perfectly safe.

To really enjoy them the next time around, order them at a good restaurant (seafood, Italian, & French spots should have good ones) or, if you can get them fresh, make them yourself. Cooking them at home can involve nothing more than cleaning them & tossing them in a pot with some water, broth, or a little white wine & cooking until they open. Some good bread & a green salad & you're all set!!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
Executive Chef

If you ever have access to, or see Prince Edward Island Mussels (PEI's) on a menu, be sure to get it.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Yes, with mussels "chewy" = "overcooked", but so long as they were fresh & alive when cooked & kept at the proper temp on the buffet, they should have been perfectly safe.

To really enjoy them the next time around, order them at a good restaurant (seafood, Italian, & French spots should have good ones) or, if you can get them fresh, make them yourself. Cooking them at home can involve nothing more than cleaning them & tossing them in a pot with some water, broth, or a little white wine & cooking until they open. Some good bread & a green salad & you're all set!!
now you've given me a mussle phobia.....no more for me when it comes to the buffet thing. Besides, now that I know that isn't the texture they should be I want to truely experience a perfectly cooked on. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Master Chef

I'll be honest with you now. I didn't want to scare you before, but I never eat steamed shellfish products off of buffets. In fact, except for sushi at Japanese restaurants where I can definitely see how fast the turnover is, I never eat buffet seafood. Seafood just either toughens or turns faster than any other food group.

Again - enjoy your next mussel feast at a good restaurant or make them at home. Even at good restaurants they can sometimes be a little chewy, but they'll still be safe & good. And making them at home is so simple. Talk about terrific "fast food".

Tags
None