"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I skimmed the article this morning, but must have missed the part where it said tilapia were "unhealthy". It said they were not as high on omegas as other fish, but I'm going to blindly say that that is the reason they are probably so mild and tasteless, or what's the phrase... a "blank canvas"? lol.
Then maybe you missed this part:
Quote:
Compared with other fish, farmed tilapia contains relatively small amounts of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids, the fish oils that are the main reasons doctors recommend eating fish frequently; salmon has more than 10 times the amount of tilapia. Also, farmed tilapia contains a less healthful mix of fatty acids because the fish are fed corn and soy instead of lake plants and algae, the diet of wild tilapia.
“It may look like fish and taste like fish but does not have the benefits — it may be detrimental,” said Dr. Floyd Chilton, a professor of physiology and pharmacology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center who specializes in fish lipids.
as well as the part where they mentioned they are allowed to feed the farmed tilapia hormones.

and fwiw, fish are not meant to eat "corn and soy!"

Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I read that part, June. That is where I read that they are not as beneficial as other fish, fish with higher amounts of omegas. Not as beneficial does not make them unhealthy though.
Truth be told, while I loved eating the fish I used to catch, there are eating guidelines set due to the mercury levels found in the fish in Lake Erie. One could easily play devil's advocate and say you don't have that problem in farm raised fish. As with anything, moderation.

I found the article to be very objective. I didn't eat tilapia before reading the article and I won't eat it now, lol. But if I did eat tilapia, it wouldn't change my thoughts on it.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Master Chef

This is also worth the read.......

Frightening Warning About Tilapia - Netscape Home & Living

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

I would prefer different fish to buy, and I do when Sam's club has flounder filets, but sometimes they have flounder sometimes they have tilapia. I eat tilapia maybe once in two months, or even less. I do like the fact that it almost has no taste, I can make it taste the way I want with the type of sauce or the way I cook it. I do eat flounder more often. Here in MN we do not have well stocked fish market or any fish market at all. There are some Asian stores that have better selection than regular grocery stores. I simply cannot afford $15 - $25 dollars per pound of fish. Even Ocean Perch, my preferred choice, here is $6-7 per pound. It's not normal. When they say that people are less healthy than rich people they have a good reason. Poor shmucks like me simply cannot afford healthy food.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the article june.

mmmmm, poo-fish.

watch about 1:30 in.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

The warning bells about farmed fish from Asia were rung overhear sometime ago.Talapia fish farms are now well established in the UK. I have tried it, for me its ok. Farmed fish can never have the taste or texture of wild fish.
This summer I will have to forgo catching and eating fish at our house on Hvar Croatia, we are going to land locked Serbia to visit my wifes Serbian relatives. I may try my luck fishing the Danube
Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i'll bet you can catch some bluefish in the danube.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'll bet you can catch some bluefish in the danube.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The warning bells about farmed fish from Asia were rung overhear sometime ago.Talapia fish farms are now well established in the UK. I have tried it, for me its ok. Farmed fish can never have the taste or texture of wild fish.
This summer I will have to forgo catching and eating fish at our house on Hvar Croatia, we are going to land locked Serbia to visit my wifes Serbian relatives. I may try my luck fishing the Danube
I lived on a trout farm for a while. The fish there weren't fed anything for the last year before harvest. Everyone told me they were as good as wild caught trout. (I really dislike cooked trout ptui, spit, spit, so I can't say) No one mentioned texture. They were kept in very large ponds and ate whatever trout eat in the wild for that last year.

Not very "efficient" fish farming, but it produces "gourmet" farmed fish. Now, if that market could be developed...
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Tax mate the trout I buy from my local river fed farm are the best farmed I have eaten. The biggest problem for me is their texture like with all farmed fish they don't produce enough muscle and tend to have more fat which affects the flavor.
The cheap farmed Salmon in our supermarkets smoked or fresh tastes to me like oily pink cotton wool.
I can and do buy deep loch tidal farmed Scottish and Irish Salmon which is good. We live about 5 miles from the Dee estuary and as a kid I would go with my Dad to watch the Salmon fishermen, they caught sleek bars of silver that tasted so sweet.

Tags
other