"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 09-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Cook

Vacuum sealer buyer's guide

So I just saw the thread about Vacuum Sealer bags by Roll_bones that reminded me of the buyer's guide that I read when I was trying to make a decision about what vacuum sealer to buy.

I thought it was really helpful and very detailed so maybe some of you might find it useful as well. Here is the link.

There's also a bags and roll discount club on that site too that you can sign up for. I'll occasionally get emails about bags or rolls being on sale for better prices than you can normally get and I'll stock up.

There's also a write up about Sous Vide that I didn't pay attention to before but sums it up nicely. Next time someone gives me that "I have no clue" look when I ask if they know what Sous Vide is I'll point them there lol

Old 09-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed it, and it looks to be very informative. I'll have to read it more carefully, as a vacuum sealer (and sous vide) is on the radar screen.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have a sealer from the early 70's, so I guess that makes it going on 45 years old.

There is a crack in the rubber vacuum nozzle, the button to activate the heat is broken, I use a bent paper clip, and the heat wires at the very ends don't seem to get hot enough to always seal the plastics.

Also admit it doesn't always get all the air out but enough that I'm comfortable with freezing stuff if used within a reasonable time. Most often used to reseal bags that don't need the air pulled out.

I love it and seeing the prices of the new ones am striving to keeping it as long as I can! LOL I think I paid less than 30$ for it.

Excellent article thou - Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

We were given our Food Saver. Really didn't use it much until we started buying bulk meat for grinding, making and portioning out for meals.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a really old model. After about 15-20 years I gave it to Spike. I found it too difficult to use. I am now looking for another one. I will look at the whole article before I make a decision. I am not one that just has to have the latest and greatest. Just one to meet my needs.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

I use mine all the time, and love it. It's about 7 years old and still going strong. Fixin' to portion out 10 lbs of chicken thighs that I bought on sale yesterday for .69/lb. I have coconut, several kinds of nuts, fruits for smoothies....all kinds of things vacuum sealed in the freezer. If mine died tomorrow, I would replace it in a heartbeat.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed it, and it looks to be very informative. I'll have to read it more carefully, as a vacuum sealer (and sous vide) is on the radar screen.
Hey you are welcome, that's what this community is about. For the love of food and each other! :)

dragn> that made me laugh. You are hell bent on keeping that sucker (lolpuns) alive. Maybe it is time to let go :P

FoodSaver is a good brand to use if you aren't going to be sealing very much. I myself wound up picking up the VacMaster Pro 380. Though my tendency to spoil myself has got me eyeballing a chamber sealer hahaha.

I use it for more than just cooking, I seal documents and small parts too. It is great for prepping and hiking as well. Keeps matches sealed up and dry, makes my food take up less space etc.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I have a sealer from the early 70's, so I guess that makes it going on 45 years old.

There is a crack in the rubber vacuum nozzle, the button to activate the heat is broken, I use a bent paper clip, and the heat wires at the very ends don't seem to get hot enough to always seal the plastics.

Also admit it doesn't always get all the air out but enough that I'm comfortable with freezing stuff if used within a reasonable time. Most often used to reseal bags that don't need the air pulled out.

I love it and seeing the prices of the new ones am striving to keeping it as long as I can! LOL I think I paid less than 30$ for it.

Excellent article thou - Thanks!
Every now and again Costco and I'm certain others have a good sale on Vacuum sealers.
I got my basic sealer for $49 and its all I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
Hey you are welcome, that's what this community is about. For the love of food and each other! :)

dragn> that made me laugh. You are hell bent on keeping that sucker (lolpuns) alive. Maybe it is time to let go :P

FoodSaver is a good brand to use if you aren't going to be sealing very much. I myself wound up picking up the VacMaster Pro 380. Though my tendency to spoil myself has got me eyeballing a chamber sealer hahaha.

I use it for more than just cooking, I seal documents and small parts too. It is great for prepping and hiking as well. Keeps matches sealed up and dry, makes my food take up less space etc.
Good suggestions for alternative uses.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Good suggestions for alternative uses.
Why thank you kind sir (I assume you are a sir, if not forgive me)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
My father would roll over in his grave if I didn't squeeze every last breath out of that little sucker (yeah, pun intended here too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Every now and again Costco and I'm certain others have a good sale on Vacuum sealers.
I got my basic sealer for $49 and its all I need.
Costco does have some good prices if you are vigilant. But I'm not a member. I refuse to pay someone $65/70$ for the privilege of being coerced into purchasing more than I really need; being bamboozled by the convenience into using 6 tins in a week of something that under normal circumstances I would only use one; ... and I could go on ad naseum...

I will go once a year or even two years with a member. When I was a member and 4 kids at home I would walk out of there with a bill of $300. and use it all up in less than 2 weeks... where is the savings in that! Buyer beware.. I admit to no will power, I was not good at it and so just best stay away from it. OK, rant over.