"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Master Chef

How about tiny red potatoes boiled and doused with a butter/olive oil, garlic, anchovy sauce.

Sort of a bagna cauda.

Serve in a big bowl with toothpicks handy for spearing the little buggers.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'd suggest that nothing is quite as appetizing as the aromas from a blend of smoking woods at a campfire. So, my suggestions are:

1) A salad of thin slices of rare honey smoked duck with bite-sized pieces of nashi pears scented with orange flower water on top of a bed of pomegranate jelly. The duck can be salted and smeared with honey beforehand, then kept chilled until ready to be smoked before serving. The pomegranate jelly can be prepared beforehand and kept chilled until serving. The nashi pears can be chopped up beforehand and some lemon juice squeezed over them to prevent oxidizing, and then kept chilled until the dish is ready to be served, when you can lightly scent the nashi pears with the orange flower water.

Or:

2) A smoked rainbow trout rillette. Hot smoke the rainbow trout, remove the skin, take the flesh off the bones and then lightly mash the flesh with lemon oil to form a rillette. Serve with a tiny sprinkling of Almas caviar on crusty bread that has been buttered and toasted over the woodfire.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Everymom

Summer rolls has my vote. You can fill with lots of yummy stuff and you can keep them moist with a cool damp teatowel.

What about grilled proscuitto wrapped asparagus? Cooled then drizzled with balsamic vinegar? You could do all kinds of funky pickle things.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

spring rolls, fruit, cucumber cups w/ wasabi mayo, sushi, etc.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks everyone for the ideas.... They have been helpful and hammered home some practicalities..

I tried making some rice wrapper roll ups last night... delicious but finicky to make and mine came out looking like giant alien slugs - clearly I'll need practice before a public appearance. I also think it would take me a couple of hours to make 60 - 70 of these. That idea is off the list. But the roll was an appealing idea.....

satay is also tempting and the pickly bit.. all good ideas so... here's what I've decided on

A Greek Platter

Stuffed grape leaves - I can make these at home the day ahead and have stacks of them
Lamb on small sticks (satay style but with a greek flavor profile). I can cut and marinate the lamb the day before.
Pickly Bits | Kalamata olives, cubes of feta and cucumber drizzled with oil and herbs
Bowl of yogurt sauce for dipping
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas.... They have been helpful and hammered home some practicalities..

I tried making some rice wrapper roll ups last night... delicious but finicky to make and mine came out looking like giant alien slugs - clearly I'll need practice before a public appearance. I also think it would take me a couple of hours to make 60 - 70 of these. That idea is off the list. But the roll was an appealing idea.....

satay is also tempting and the pickly bit.. all good ideas so... here's what I've decided on

A Greek Platter

Stuffed grape leaves - I can make these at home the day ahead and have stacks of them
Lamb on small sticks (satay style but with a greek flavor profile). I can cut and marinate the lamb the day before.
Pickly Bits | Kalamata olives, cubes of feta and cucumber drizzled with oil and herbs
It sounds good, JanetH. I'm glad you tried the rice wrappers at home--they are time consuming, a bit finicky, and take a bit of practice to get the knack of how to roll them, how much filling to put in so you get consistent shape/sizes, and how long to let them soak so they don't disintegrate. Definitely not a "never tried this, I'll do this for an event" type of thing.

You could probably do the grape leaves 2 days in advance, and have the Pickly bits and yogurt ready the day before. You might want to make 2 types of dip--one lemon based for the grape leaves and a mint-yogurt one for the lamb. I'm looking forward to directions so I can plan my trip to crash the event!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

A Greek Platter

Sounds like a winner!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It sounds good, JanetH. I'm glad you tried the rice wrappers at home--they are time consuming, a bit finicky, and take a bit of practice to get the knack of how to roll them, how much filling to put in so you get consistent shape/sizes, and how long to let them soak so they don't disintegrate. Definitely not a "never tried this, I'll do this for an event" type of thing.

You could probably do the grape leaves 2 days in advance, and have the Pickly bits and yogurt ready the day before. You might want to make 2 types of dip--one lemon based for the grape leaves and a mint-yogurt one for the lamb. I'm looking forward to directions so I can plan my trip to crash the event!

I'm not sure why I thought those rice wrappers would be easy to handle but they were a mess. I got better as I went along but then had a little accident when I dropped a soaked one on the floor and it landed with a splay and the stuck like freshly pasted wallpaper..

You suggested a lemon sauce for the grape leaves... usually after these are cooked and cooled I've served them pre dressed with a lemon/oil/herb mix. What do you suggest as an alternative ?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You suggested a lemon sauce for the grape leaves... usually after these are cooked and cooled I've served them pre dressed with a lemon/oil/herb mix. What do you suggest as an alternative ?
Stuffed grape leaves are traditionally served with an egg-lemon sauce called avgolemono. Here's a recipe: Stuffed Grape Leaves in Egg-Lemon Sauce - Dolmathes Avgolemono

Also, by yogurt sauce, do you mean tzatziki? I think it would go great with your appetizers. I posted a recipe here some time ago.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Stuffed grape leaves are traditionally served with an egg-lemon sauce called avgolemono. Here's a recipe: Stuffed Grape Leaves in Egg-Lemon Sauce - Dolmathes Avgolemono

Also, by yogurt sauce, do you mean tzatziki? I think it would go great with your appetizers. I posted a recipe here some time ago.
That lemon sauce is wonderful.