"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sunday I made seafood stock from a bunch of shells I had in the freezer and the lobster and crab shells from the "cook off" on Friday. Last night I transformed the stock into seafood chowder. There is enough, if I stop eating it for breakfast, for 3-4 healthy sized servings. Cook once, eat many. I could add noodles to it and make a casserole, but I don't eat pasta very often, I rather have the chowder.
That sounds delish! I want some.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #52
Cupcake

PF, if you make that, I want a review! BT, I totally agree, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Cheryl, I saw that recipe too. If you make it before I do, I'd love to hear how it turned out!

Cooking Goddess, I think I may have stumbled on one of the key ideas to prevent work-related starvation. I got home at 5:20 PM today and had dinner on the table prior to 6 PM - which makes up for my arrival home from work after 9 PM yesterday!

CSW & Addie - I love all seafood! I'd rather have chowder too...but....I'm playing with the wonderpot options. And pasta works so well! That being said, I'd love the recipe for your favorite chowder!

Frank and Andy - Since guys like items with meat, tonight's Wonderpot was this recipe!

Though I stayed pretty true to the recipe, I did make a few changes.

• I used 4 sausage links. I also sliced the sausage prior to cooking it.
  • I used baby bella mushrooms.
  • Instead of vegetable broth, I used brown pork stock that were canned up last year.
  • Penne instead of rigatoni.
  • I added 1/4 teaspoon or so of crushed red pepper and a tiny container of pitted whole black olives.
The cook time was about 5 minutes less than stated in the recipe.

Again, it turned out pretty yummy and a dish I could serve to friends without apology. A tossed salad and crusty bread would make it shine!

Leftovers yielded 3 2-serving bags for the freezer!

~Kathleen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00935.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	22111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00941.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	22112  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00950.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	22113  

Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Between the rice and pasta, I think you have found the solution for your dilemma. When you think about it, it is always the carb that takes the longest to prepare. While that is cooking, you can be doing the rest. But of course, the real bonus is the leftovers for nights you don't feel like cooking.

So glad you have found the solution. I can well remember rushing home every night to feed hungry kids. Not an easy job.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

Planning on Having Little Time to Cook

What I like to do is make a rice dish in bulk, that way I will have plenty of food for throughout the week: my go to dish is rice, beans and chicken (a staple in my household growing up). Recently I made a beef and potato soup that ended up yielding much more than I intended, but it worked out because I had enough containers to store it in. I am always a fan of food that I can make which leaves me with leftovers; often times throughout the week I am too busy to grab lunch in between classes!

Need ideas on what to cook or bake tonight? Check us out at:
http://www.rookstocooks.com
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I will make basic biscuit dough and then add cheese/garlic/herbs to the dough, cut out the biscuits, freeze them, so all he has to do is bake them.

I make beef stroganoff for the freezer, chili, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, meatloaf, pies, pot pies, cabbage rolls, lasagna (that is for if they want to invite s/one out for supper), pizza, wildrice casserole. For the most part, all my dad has to do is follow the spreadsheet, thaw the main dish the night before, and make sure he has picked up the fresh ingredients needed.
If my girlfriend had her way she would bake bread every day and freeze all of it! She loves baking bread, but sometimes we cannot eat it all in time before she makes another batch!

I have never heard of freezing beef stroganoff (I actually just made it this past weekend). While it does not take too long to cook the day of, I usually forget to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw so perhaps cooking it ahead of time is the way to go.

Also, I'm a fan of your term "mega-cooking". I do not think I am quite at that level yet, but perhaps one day I will be!

Need ideas on what to cook or bake tonight? Check us out at:
http://www.rookstocooks.com
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook