"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Piling on

I agree. I also avoid recipes that require exotic ingredients that you can't get at the supermarket. Of course I can also remember when you couldn't get things like fresh cilantro at the supermarket and now you can.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just thought of one...I hate having a slice of lemon served in my ice water. If I wanted lemonade I would ask for it.
I think that has become common due to the fact that most city tap water doesn't taste all that good, so a little lemon covers it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything
This is the truth! I love burgers. I've had a lot of what I would call semi-traditional, and a few non-traditional, burgers. I also like fried eggs sunny-side-up. I do NOT want them together.

To be honest I'm not a fan of any sandwich with eggs, but I can force down egg salad if that's all there is. Runny yolk all over my burger.... I'd skip that one completely.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

The only time I like the skin on my potatoes is when they are baked. When I am served a potato salad with the skin still on the potatoes, I just let it sit there or just break off the front of the piece of potato and leave the skin behind. Make sure your peeler is really sharp and don't be lazy. Peel them.

Yeah, yeah, I know red taters are the preferred one for salad. And to peel them can take what seems forever since they are so small. Then find some very large Yukon Gold ones. They make great potato salad and can be peeled quickly.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Ha, funny! I gave a talk tonight about culinary herbs and served watermelon with feta and fresh mint. They loved it and some had never heard of that combination before. I love sweet and salty flavors together
I don't mind sweet and salty, But I prefer it when its a chocolate covered pretzel
Old 06-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A cheeseburger with fries, poutine, ham, pulled pork, grilled cheese and donuts on it and all held together by a sword stabbed down through the entire mess. First of all, who decided that was a good idea? Second, how do you go about eating that?
And third, do you get to keep the sword?
Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Don't get me started.........gluten free..
Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The only time I like the skin on my potatoes is when they are baked. When I am served a potato salad with the skin still on the potatoes, I just let it sit there or just break off the front of the piece of potato and leave the skin behind. Make sure your peeler is really sharp and don't be lazy. Peel them.

Yeah, yeah, I know red taters are the preferred one for salad. And to peel them can take what seems forever since they are so small. Then find some very large Yukon Gold ones. They make great potato salad and can be peeled quickly.
I never peal potatoes. I think the skin is the best part! My favorite part of a baked potato is the skin.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #48
Master Chef

I also rarely peel potatoes. If I'm making mashed potatoes for my family I do, because they prefer their mashies smooth and peeled. Otherwise, I love the skins.

About the watermelon and feta...one of my fave out-of-town family restaurants, BJ's, has a wonderful watermelon, feta, and arugula salad. I didn't think I would care for the two in the same salad at first, but IMO it's delicious. They don't pile on the feta in big chunks, it's more of a crumbly topping. It's the second one pictured here:
BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

I'm with those who commented on fried eggs on hamburgers (ick), and huge servings. That's why I rarely go out to eat and I SO appreciate the restaurants that offer 'small bites' and shareable appetizers. Those alone are just enough for an enjoyable meal for me, without feeling uncomfortably full or have to bring half home.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I never peal potatoes. I think the skin is the best part! My favorite part of a baked potato is the skin.
I rarely peel potatoes. I like my mashed potatoes and gravy skinless, but anything with potato chunks is going to have skin, for the taste, texture, and nutrition.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

I always peel potatoes except for baked potatoes.

Tags
food