"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
My understanding of taste and smell is that you can only taste bitter, salty, sweet and sour (and some say a fifth umami taste), and I understand (perhaps incorrectly) that all the variations of taste we perceive in food are due to our sense of smell being combined with taste. If that is true then it's easy to understand why disturbances or loss of sense of smell can so profoundly affect the taste of food.
This is true Greg and the umami taste is associated with msg.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
Sous Chef

I have issues with the texture of celery, especially cooked. I also prefer not eat thick spaghetti noodles because of the texture.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

for me, smell is part of taste. as mentioned, no sense of smell and your tasting ability is way off or dead completely. i cann't seperate smell vs. taste, but i can with texture and presentation vs. taste/smell.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Half Baked

I don't like the texture of cartilage. It pops up intentionaly in asian dishes mostly.

I am not too picky about any food or dish needing to cooked to a certain texture.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
This is true Greg and the umami taste is associated with msg.
Again, I'm no expert in this field. I read stuff, I partly understand it, then later I forget more of it... And then maybe sometimes can't explain it well or I explain it wrong... (Plenty of disclaimers here.)

AFAIK the umami taste is associated with tasting glutamates, for example found in Asian fish sauce. MSG (monosodium glutamate) is just one of many glutamates, and is often associated in some people with headache symptoms. And of course it contains sodium which some people want to or need to limit intake. From what I understand MSG is a heavy dose of glutamates, but that other foods without MSG can have glutamates too.

From what I read it is not clear but possibly some people are able to taste umami while others are not. I understand this whole concept has some controversy associated with it.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Yes! Texture matters.

We eat a lot of Korean food and some of the gummy textures actually repel me.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Master Chef

The only time I have a problem with texture is soggy bread.

The worst item that comes to mind is milk toast!

Also soggy pizza, panzanella, zuppa di pan cotto, french onion soup, etc....

You can put me on stale bread and water just don't mix them please!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Yes! Texture matters.

We eat a lot of Korean food and some of the gummy textures actually repel me.
I think that's a Western thing. I had a Japanese kelp salad once that had a great flavor but it was like chewing on thin rubber bands.

I've also heard that some Russian cuisines involve a lot of jellied meats, which I'll respectfully pass on.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
Executive Chef

When you think about presentation think about the ultimate lack of presentation: fast food franchises where the sole presentation is to wrap food in corporate logo disposable wrappers, and maybe slap a sticker with "no pickles" or otherwise non-standard requests.

Of course their mission puts presentation at the bottom of the list. Their environment is not compatible with presentation. Yet I wonder if some of these fast food franchises' food would taste better if served in a different setting, and with good presentation, particularly when they advertise their $8 or $10 burger for substantially less (bragging that it's as good as an expensive burger from a fancier place) but in fact environment and presentation are part of enjoying dining.

I'm not sure if the word "dining" is appropriate to these fast food franchises, except technically.

So think of that when you think of presentation. There is such a thing as "no presentation."
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Head Chef

Are you a texture person?

Yes, I can't stand Shell Fish and Chick Peas are two things come to mind right away. I am sure there are a few more that don't come to mind as readily.