"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chili with Brisket!

Hello!

I am planning on making some chilli (con carne) tomorrow evening and for a change I fancy using brisket instead of the usual minced beef.
I've got my chilli recipe refined to my liking and I am thinking about cooking the brisket seperately first, then pulling it apart and adding to the cooked sauce to heat through and let the flavours mingle, while keeping the beefy flavour.
Would this be a good idea, and if so, how would be best to cook (braise/roast?) or should I cook it all together in one pot?

Thanks!
Liam

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

hi liam!
never cooked cccarne with brisket(i use diced(not minced) rump steak & pork) or cooked the meat separately.so thinking on me feet,if you want to cook the meat separately:
have you got a slow cooker?if so i would make up a dry rub,usual suspects,salt,pepper,sugar,chili powder,smoked paprika,garlic powder,onion powder,oregano etc etc,rub it into the brisket & leave it in the fridge overnight.bring it up to room temp tomorrow morning & pop it in your slow cooker all day on low with the liquid that the rub draws out..don't add any other liquid!.make up your chili sauce,pop in your pulled brisket & cooking liquor,reheat,done!!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Why not braise the brisket in the chili sauce? Then shred it, add it back and if you intend to be sacrilegious, add the beans.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have used brisket in chili before and it is fantastic. I used my smoker and smoked the brisket, which gave a nice smoky flavor to the chili.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Why not braise the brisket in the chili sauce? Then shred it, add it back and if you intend to be sacrilegious, add the beans.
are you crazy man?....the beans are the best bit!!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a slow cooker, but I like the idea of cooking it with a dry rub, then adding that to the chilli. What would be the best way to cook the brisket in the oven? Would roasting leave it too dry?

P.S. Beans aren't sacreligious, leaving them out is sacrelige!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Master Chef

Why not braise it in the chili so the flavors meld?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was thinking cutting it in the size pieces you want and browning it off in the chili pot, once browned, build your chili on top of that. That's how I do it when I use steak or other roast. You want that layer of flavor in the chili.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsanders24 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a slow cooker, but I like the idea of cooking it with a dry rub, then adding that to the chilli. What would be the best way to cook the brisket in the oven? Would roasting leave it too dry?

They way I have done it in the oven is smother your brisket in your favorite rub. Take a large onion and lice it in four 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slices. Place the slices in a roasting pan and place the brisket fat side up on the onion slices. Pour beef broth in the pan so it is just below the bottom of the brisket. Cover with foil and slow roast at 225 for up to 10 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Once you have an internal temp of 190 it's done.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsanders24 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
They way I have done it in the oven is smother your brisket in your favorite rub. Take a large onion and lice it in four 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slices. Place the slices in a roasting pan and place the brisket fat side up on the onion slices. Pour beef broth in the pan so it is just below the bottom of the brisket. Cover with foil and slow roast at 225 for up to 10 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Once you have an internal temp of 190 it's done.
spot on rocket!!if you haven't got a slow cooker liam then just follow rocket's method & you won't go wrong.don't forget to tip in the juices that the rub extracts from the meat if you are marinating over night.last point is that i presume you are talking 225 farenheit rocket?we tend to use centigrade over this side of the pond which works out at about 110c.225c would be a hot oven over here

Tags
chili, brisket