"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cooking multiple things at once in oven

ok, I always wondering about this and on Friday I would like to cook multiple things in the oven at once. Let's just assume at this point that it's ok to cook them at the same temperature and everything will take about the same amount of time. Does everything still cook the same? Last night I cooked corn bread and chicken at the same time. Both needed 400 degrees and both only needed about 15/20 minutes. The chicken was done, but not the corn bread. I also get nervous in situations like this when company is coming.

On Friday I want to cook meatloaf and in addition 2 baked potatoes and a very small amount of carrots. I could cook the carrots on the stove though.

It gets even more confusing when your talking different degrees and/or different times. I usually try to plan all my meals to only cook one thing in the oven if I have to and everything else gets cooked ontop of the stove.

Is this something I don't need to worry about?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Some items, such as meats and veggies are more flexible when it comes to temperatures. Other items such as breads and cakes are not so flexible. It's OK to cook the flexible stuff at a higher or lower temperature.

For example, if you wanted to do a cornbread at 400F and a meatloaf at 350F, you could do them both at 400F. The meatloaf would be done a little faster than usual.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Cook

I have had the “shared oven” dilemma too many times. I have learned from trial and error but most often it is just paying close attention to the items as they approach their completed cooking time.

Each oven I have owned has had small variance when items are added. Your corn bread example is ideal because a corn bread in a pan will take longer than a pan of individual corn muffins. This is sort of what happens when the oven shares items. Temperature is varied and heat elements can also be obstructed when additional items are placed in the cavity which is something that is overcome in a convection oven.

I was always envious of the oven my Aunt owned. It had a regular oven beneath the range top and a glass door fronted oven on top. It was great for holiday meals with a large poultry and assorted side dishes.

We looked at a dual oven when we purchased our last oven a few years ago. The second oven was located almost on the floor and it was very small. I just didn’t feel like getting on my hands and knees to remove hot things from the oven.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

I err on the side of higher heat when doing multiple items, but then I don't bake bread, etc, which is a lot more delicate than braising or roasting. Remember that most meats can be taken out of the oven a half hour in advance, which will give you that time if you need to heat rolls or desert.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Master Chef

If you have a microwave, you can nuke the spuds till they are almost done, then finish in the oven for 10 min or so.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
If you have a microwave, you can nuke the spuds till they are almost done, then finish in the oven for 10 min or so.
Hey, that was gonna be my answer. I love to do baked potatoes this way. I pretty much cook them in the microwave, wrap individually, place in oven for however long - the more done the better.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I read somewhere that potatoes coked in the microwave aren't really baked. They're more like steamed.

That said, I never cook anything in the micorwave anyway because my microwave died unexpectedly about 6 months ago.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I guess potatoes cooked in the microwave WOULD be considered steamed. I've always cooked mine that way. I put them in corning ware w/about 1/2" of water, cover it & then nuke for about 20 minutes -- same w/sweet pots. Comes out perfect every time.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I use the microwave/oven combo as well. I like the dry crisp skin the oven gives you. I usually bake them for 30 minutes.

Microwaved potatoes are steamed and even after baking in the oven, they contain more water than fully baked potatoes. I learned that the hard way once when trying to make twice baked potatoes.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks for the suggestions guys