"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking show suggestions?

I am looking for some good cooking shows, and instead of wasting my time watching several different ones I thought I would ask the people who know best. So what are your favorite shows and what’s so good about them? (please no Emeril, I know he is great but I am not a big fan) Thanks for your help!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Welcome to DC Julie, I usually watch what interest me. I am a everyday home style cook. I get ideas from Paula, Giada, Bobby Flay and RR. all depends on what type of meals you enjoy. Nothing fancy here ! Barb L.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS
I am looking for some good cooking shows, and instead of wasting my time watching several different ones I thought I would ask the people who know best. So what are your favorite shows and what’s so good about them? (please no Emeril, I know he is great but I am not a big fan) Thanks for your help!
You're going to get different answers based on what the particular person likes, and their cooking skill/knowledge. You should use that for yourself to decide which shows you do or don't want to watch.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Emeril....you MUST watch Emeril! You must!

LOL!

Just kidding. As BarbL said, it depends on what you want.

For a competitive, think on your feet, fast bit of exotic cooking, try Iron Chef, and Iron Chef America. The things they do in a pinch can really help you to think on your feet.

To understand WHY food does what it does and why you should cook it a certain way, try Good Eats with Alton Brown. He takes a Physics/Chemistry teacher’s approach and explains, often at the molecular level, how a recipe works. I know that sounds dry, but Alton is a real clown and a cut-up......maybe that’s why he cuts up so much? It’s a fun show.

For fast throw together meals that taste great, look at 30 minute Meals with Rachel Ray.

For BBQ tips, try Boy Meets Grill with Bobby Flay. To see BBQ all over the nation and how other “regular folks” are cooking it watch BBQ with Bobby Flay.

To see how some popular items such as candy, beverages, french fries, etc are made, watch Unwrapped. I’m not really a big fan of that show (it’s a bit dry, and a lot of the stuff they showcase doesn’t interest me), but last night, I saw how they make Crab Delights (imitation crab) and I LOVE Crab Delights, so it was a fun show for me.

For some god ole home cooking with a southern flare, check out Paula Dean’s Home Cooking.

For something a bit “uppity” and fancy, check out Barefoot Contessa.

For an Italian flare, try Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis.

There is a thread talking about everyone’s favorite shows here.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out PBS for Jacues Pepin or Julia Child cooking shows. They are the best teachers.

Also take a look at America's Test Kitchen and Lydia Bastainich cooking shows.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Cook

Read if you can. You can always go back and read it again if you missed something. A good place to start would be the book, On Food and Cooking by Harold Mcgee. If you would rather watch tv, then id say just watch and find out what you like.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I'm definitely a Bobby Flay guy. I like Iron Chef and Top Chef just to watch techniques and learn by observing.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

JulieS - it really depends on what you like/want. I mean, I really dislike Rachael Ray's tv personality, but do have one of her cookbooks & have liked many of her recipes. But watching her on tv just makes me gag - lol!!

And I agree with others that it's a crying shame that no one is repeating the old Julia Child "French Chef" series, the old Graham Kerr series, "The Two Fat Ladies" series, etc., etc. The oldies were definitely goodies & provided excellent info without talking down to new foodies.

As far as show on Food Network, I'd recommend Sara Moulton's "Sara's Secrets" (usually on early in the morning) & Alton Brown's "Good Eats" for basic stuff. But again - as others have said - it all depends on what sort of show you're looking for.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
JulieS - it really depends on what you like/want. I mean, I really dislike Rachael Ray's tv personality, but do have one of her cookbooks & have liked many of her recipes. But watching her on tv just makes me gag - lol!!

And I agree with others that it's a crying shame that no one is repeating the old Julia Child "French Chef" series, the old Graham Kerr series, "The Two Fat Ladies" series, etc., etc. The oldies were definitely goodies & provided excellent info without talking down to new foodies.

As far as show on Food Network, I'd recommend Sara Moulton's "Sara's Secrets" (usually on early in the morning) & Alton Brown's "Good Eats" for basic stuff. But again - as others have said - it all depends on what sort of show you're looking for.
The Two Fat Ladies was an AWESOME show. I miss that one. They were a trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Sous Chef

If you want some really quick recipes that take like 20minutes to make entree, main and dessert, there's a show called ReadySteadyCook in Australia. (the cooks are given 5 ingredients by a member of the audience and have to come up with an "on the spot menu")

The website is Ready Steady Cook

I watch this in my 30min break at work as there is nothing else to do here and its too cold to go outside lol

and there is also this other show called Food Safari, it shows the culture and recipes from 13 different countries...oh its SO good!