"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Crispy pork belly

I ate it so fast I almost had non left by the time I remembered to take a picture!

I swear it was one of the best things I ever ate.

I was also cooking some tongue for dinner tm aNd gave the baby some but she stole my pork and Is too busy eating that to bother with the

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2408414787.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	15721

tongue!

__________________

__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
...
I was also cooking some tongue for dinner tm aNd gave the baby some but she stole my pork and Is too busy eating that to bother with the

Attachment 15721

tongue!
That looks simply GREAT!

Siegal, do you mean you cook pork's tongue?
__________________

__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
No -boiled cow tongue. I was cooking it for rosh hashana tm (yes I see the irony of cooking pork today!) also delicious. This was my first pork belly- I am trying to get comfortable with cooking pork as I just never really did before. Want to experiment with "hocks" next
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,794
Looks good. I have gotten into pork belly lately also.There are some great Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese recipes. I bought a whole pork belly from a producer at our local farmers market and have 5, 2 lb pieces in the freezer. I just have to pace myself and try not to eat it too fast. The last one I did was marinated over night in a porchetta type blend. Lots of garlic. It was awsome. Can't wait for the next one,
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Looks kind of red for uncured pork; more like corned beef.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
No -boiled cow tongue. I was cooking it for rosh hashana tm (yes I see the irony of cooking pork today!) also delicious. This was my first pork belly- I am trying to get comfortable with cooking pork as I just never really did before. Want to experiment with "hocks" next
Thanks Siegal

In the meantime, thank to your post, I discovered lots of recipes for pork tongue here in Italy. I never even thought about cooking a pork tongue...
__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Looks kind of red for uncured pork; more like corned beef.
I think it may be the Chinese five spice I put on it. Kind of brown maybe?
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
love this post, siegal--actually, any post that awakens my taste buds and seduces my appetite like the pork belly i've yet to taste. i will surely be cooking my first pork belly soon. it seems everyone is raving about it lately, and i just love pork so much anyway--every part of the pig i've ever tried. i think that includes pretty much everything except for the curled-up tails i have passed up on more than one occasion. hell, somebody tell me about their delicious pork tail recipe, and i'll likely be ready for another go at 'em....:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
love this post, siegal--actually, any post that awakens my taste buds and seduces my appetite like the pork belly i've yet to taste. i will surely be cooking my first pork belly soon. it seems everyone is raving about it lately, and i just love pork so much anyway--every part of the pig i've ever tried. i think that includes pretty much everything except for the curled-up tails i have passed up on more than one occasion. hell, somebody tell me about their delicious pork tail recipe, and i'll likely be ready for another go at 'em....:)
Three or four per liter of sauce makes a nice ragu for pasta. Kinda messy but so are neck bones.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
thanks for the suggestion, bill. what kind of seasonings would be nice in this ragu with the pork?
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.