"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Head Chef

How do I convert this soup from stove top to crock pot?

We are having our monthly theme/food/potluck day on Tuesday. This month is lounge day. Come in sweats and lounge ware. Eat soups.

My soup recipe is:
2 C diced potatoes
1/2 C Celery chopped
1/2 C onion chopped
1/2 C carrots chopped
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C flour
2 C milk
a bunch of Velveeta
bacon
Combine potatoes, onion,carrots, celery, and broth in 4 qt pan, simmer on stove for 30 mins. mix flour and milk together and add potato mixture,stirring as you add it. cook until slightly thickened.stir in cheese until melted, garnish with bacon.

I need to make this at work in a crock-pot. If I had someone bring their electric skillet and use my crock pot would that work?

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

I think the electric skillet would work, but, the slow cooker would work also. Maybe put it together at break, instead of in the morning and put on the lowest setting? That would let it go for about 2 hours or so, right?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Why don't you make the soup the night before (except for stirring in the cheese) and then re-warm it in the crockpot by putting it on low during the morning? Then, stir in the cheese just before you serve it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Why don't you make the soup the night before (except for stirring in the cheese) and then re-warm it in the crockpot by putting it on low during the morning? Then, stir in the cheese just before you serve it.
Because everyone at work is pitching in the ingredients...that's how we do it...and I didn't even think about having them bring them in the day before...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

Oops - then I guess you'll have to make it in the electric skillet...I think I would do all the parts up to mixing in the flour and milk (early in the morning) and then put it in the crockpot on high and let it finish that way.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

I didn't even think straight....duh, I can microwave them!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
We are having our monthly theme/food/potluck day on Tuesday. This month is lounge day. Come in sweats and lounge ware. Eat soups.

My soup recipe is:
2 C diced potatoes
1/2 C Celery chopped
1/2 C onion chopped
1/2 C carrots chopped
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C flour
2 C milk
a bunch of Velveeta
bacon
Combine potatoes, onion,carrots, celery, and broth in 4 qt pan, simmer on stove for 30 mins. mix flour and milk together and add potato mixture,stirring as you add it. cook until slightly thickened.stir in cheese until melted, garnish with bacon.

I need to make this at work in a crock-pot. If I had someone bring their electric skillet and use my crock pot would that work?
I make a lot of soup and most of it is now made in my crockpot. I like the way it turns out and I can leave the house while it's cooking. The rule of thumb with crockpot cooking is 3 hrs. of crockpot time for every hour of stovetop or oven time. If your soup ingredients are cold when you start give it a another hourto cook . Bring your flour/milk mixture in a separate container. Add it one hour before the soup is done. It always works perfectly for me. If the soup cooks before you're ready to eat it, it stays perfectly hot in the pot - don't lift the lid.

A warning however, the newer crockpots heat to a higher temperature now, so keep an eye on your soup the first time you make it. But remember the more you lift the lid, the more heat escapes and you have to add to the cooking time.