"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Wow.... this thread was apparently resurrected from FOUR YEARS ago (2004?)! Amazing how our attitudes may change... but for what it's worth, I've always heard that microwaving does preserve the nutrients as it is essentially steaming them. We ONLY mw ours.

I'm a little surprised, but pleasantly so, about the slow-cooker. I would have assumed that due to the length of cooking time, this method would have depleted a lot of the nutrients. Glad to hear that assumption was wrong.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #42
Sous Chef

interesting old thread. Personally I never use the microwave to cook (sort of takes the fun out of it) but I do use it to defrost and to reheat (lunch at work)

So far as the dangers.... I know people who are convinced they are terrible and people who use them constantly without fear.. my own feeling is moderation on everything... Bacon is dangerous too but I certainly wont swear off it!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy View Post
Use mine every other day or so to reheat leftovers.

I sometimes like to cook my meatloaf in the microwave oven.

Other things I do is use it to soften butter, steam vegetables, cook corn on the cob, pop corn, zap Krispy Kremes, and torture people who think microwaves are unhealthy.

I don't think I'd like a kitchen without a microwave oven. It's just too handy to do without. It also saves on electricity and tends to keep the kitchen cooler.

these are the same things i use it for. all around a very handy gadget.

babe
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #44
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
these are the same things i use it for. all around a very handy gadget.

babe
Same here ! Wouldn't want to be without it, great little helper.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Hi Norgeskog,
And the research regarding nutrient loss when cooking by microwave cooker is available where?
And it says what in terms of nutrient loss?

I suspect the numbers have got lost and, regarding a 97% loss for vegetables cooked in a microwave cooker, exaggerated.

Can anyone direct us to some cogent, reliable science on this matter?

Regards,
Archiduc.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
At the moment I use mine for everything. My kitchen is under construction and I have no stove, oven, kitchen sink...well you get the idea. I have amazed myself with what I can do in a microwave, and as to the harmful stuff, well I only use corning ware or glass in the microwave to eliminate the dioxins.
When we were building the house, we lived her for six months without a stove. That's when I really learned how to use the nuke.
I use it to brown ground beef or sausage for casseroles..cook bacon..."saute" onions, celery, peppers, etc in butter or other fat...steam vegetables...cook casseroles...make spaghetti sauce...etcetera, etcetera ad infinitum. You can even make a great meatloaf in the microwave.

We used the Weber grill, electric skillet or crock pot to cook our meats, though.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #47
Master Chef

Before mine broke I used it a couple of times a day. It has its uses and place, and the broken one will eventually be replaced with a new one!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
... And the research regarding nutrient loss when cooking by microwave cooker is available where? ....
Archiduc - we debunked this faux pas a long time ago! Basically - the the statement was backwards - microwaved vegetables retain about 97% of their nutrients - not lose them.

I use my "high power wave-guide directed scattered distribution sealed enclosure contained high radio frequency electromagnetic carrier wave generator" to steam vegetables, defrost or heat up stuff, melt chocolate or cheese (that would normally take a double-boiler) and to "bake" potatoes in 7-minutes. And the number one use ... to heat up a cup of yesterday's left over coffer for an "eye opener" while the new day's brew is making.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
And the number one use ... to heat up a cup of yesterday's left over coffer for an "eye opener" while the new day's brew is making.
That's my number one use, too, Michael.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #50
Senior Cook

When I steam veggies, it's in the mw. I use it to melt butter and chocolate. Today, I made a meat loaf in it, because my oven was busy slow baking beans.