"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO help making crunchy fried chicken

This past week we went to Popeyes and had some of their delicious chicken. Everytime I fry chicken it never comes out crunchy like there's.... How do they get their chicken so nice and crunchy? Suggestions please?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

They probably have a heavy breading, and total submersion using high heat and pressure fryers. Hard to achieve at home. If you want crunchy chicken at home, just leave it in long enough until the skin gets really crispy. This can be tricky because you need to find a consistent temp that the breading can be cooked long enough to get crispy but not too hot so it browns or burns before the chicken is done. This means that the sizes of chicken pieces have to be taken into consideration, also. Lots to think about. I just leave it up to these people who have spent the time and money on the know how and technology required to get the desired result every time...plus, I hate cleaning up after making fried chicken....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

Yeah. That comes under the heading of things I prefer to let other people do. (And there aren't many.) They are welcome to do the job, with their huge fryers, powerful ventilation, and overhead fire extinguishing system.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I love Popeye's also. I'd have to go to another town to get it, though.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
I love Popeye's also. I'd have to go to another town to get it, though. This is pretty close, and it's a favorite:
Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken - Recipe | Cook’s Country - Recipes That Work
Bad link.

Here's a better link: Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken - Recipe | Cook's Country - Recipes That Cost $$$

"The recipe you requested is for Members Only."
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Yeah. That comes under the heading of things I prefer to let other people do. (And there aren't many.) They are welcome to do the job, with their huge fryers, powerful ventilation, and overhead fire extinguishing system.
Even without that there's the problem that cooking stuff like this requires plenty of fat/oil, and that's expensive to fill a pot deep enough to get really good frying and a mess to clean up. Also, it seems to me that there's a cost to straining your oil/fat and saving it, then reusing it cycle after cycle. The restaurant can just keep the same batch of oil/fat on hot and keep using it until it's too dirty to continue, and then they recycle it to biodiesel or waste pick-up. There's a lot of our own labor involved in straining and then reusing oil/fat for only small (family sized) batches. Or an expense involved if you just toss it after cooking dinner.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Master Chef

I do mine in the oven but, I would think the same would hold true for frying. I add baking soda or baking powder to the seasoned flour that I shake the pieces in, then egg wash, then crumb coating, then a rest for a few minutes to set the coating. I use an assortment of things in the crumb coating but at least half of it is panko breadcrumbs.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First, let me say that all my children are now in their 40's and I've had this recipe since they were toddlers. It is, by far, the best fried chicken recipe I've ever made and I have lots of recipes for fried chicken we all like.

Except....when they asked for "The Colonel's chicken" I knew they meant the recipe in the link. It is soooo crunchy and moist and delicious. Yum. You can tell, I sort of recommend it.

I made it for my new husband a couple of weeks ago and I didn't think he was going to stop eating it. He's a real southern boy and likes his fried chicken.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Bad link.

Here's a better link: Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken - Recipe | Cook's Country - Recipes That Cost $$$

"The recipe you requested is for Members Only."
To get the recipe you do have to watch the video with pencil and paper in hand to write the recipe down. They do give the full recipe with all the directions. And if you can't find buttermilk, there is a product called "Saco Cultured Buttermilk" and you can find it in the baking section of your supermarket. It is in a yellow container and usually stocked on the top shelf. Before you start to do anything else, make up the amount or even a little extra. It needs time to blend in the liquid.

I live up north and buttermilk is not an item that is found in any store. So I use the powder version all the time with no problems. Down south, they probably sell more butter milk in quart containers than regular milk. This is an excellent recipe.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To get the recipe you do have to watch the video with pencil and paper in hand to write the recipe down.
Unfortunately my Internet connection is not good enough to support video. I expect to have a decent connection later this year.

Yeah I knew about the buttermilk substitute. And also the well known substitute to add a T of vinegar to a C of milk.

Tags
chicken