"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO: McCall's Cooking School magazine recipe

I'm searching for a Beef Wellington recipe that was in a McCall's Cooking School Magazine from the 80's I believe. It called for beef (of course), Madeira wine, and pate. It also called for celery, onions, and carrots that are cooked down, chopped and placed in cheesecloth, using the handle of a wooden spoon, to twist the cheesecloth so all the juice is released. The vegetables are discarded.

Recipe does not use a puff pastry dough. The recipe is not in any of McCall's cookbooks. It can only be found in the series of Cooking School Magazines.

Any help with this recipe will be appreciated. Thank you!

Bakersdozen

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

This is in one of the magazines? I have a bunch that I got an an auction (I got almost 1000 magazines and cookbooks at an auction in 2009...treasure trove). I have deadlines this week, but if s/one hasn't found it by the weekend, I'll look. Can you repost on Saturday to remind me?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Cook

ISO: McCall's Cooking School Magazine Recipe

Hi...oh my gosh...you certainly did get a treasure trove! I have stacks of cooking magazines underneath my cookbook shelves, but alas, I don't have any of the McCall's Cooking School ones. I would be ever so grateful for your help...when you have the time. Appreciate it so much.

I've been collecting recipes and cookbooks since I was 15...many, many moons ago, and still going strong. I love to do recipe sleuthing...even the ones like this one, its a challenge but I enjoy it. I do have to ask for help at times with a really elusive recipe, but have had alot of success with most I get requests for.

Thanks again...have a great day!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozen View Post
Recipe does not use a puff pastry dough. The recipe is not in any of McCall's cookbooks. It can only be found in the series of Cooking School Magazines.

Any help with this recipe will be appreciated. Thank you!

Bakersdozen

What does it use instead?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

I know this exact recipe from the McCall's cooking school series. I collected all of this when I was younger and never got to make that but I always kept it... that is until I finally made wellington when I was in my apprenticeship. Just recently I went through my huge box of recipes and culled a lot of that old stuff out. The things you regret.....

Jennyemma, in answer to your question, it had a pastry recipe with it. Can't remember it off hand though. That was a long time ago!

I hope you find this.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Re: McCall's Cooking School Magazine Recipe

LP...Thanks for answering this...I couldn't remember, but kind of thought it might be a pastry crust of some type. I remember the magazine series, but never had them (that I can remember) in my collections. If I did, it was only a couple.

Bakersdozen
Old 10-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Still looking for this recipe...it was baked in parchment paper, no crusts of any kind. I hope someone can help. I think it was a 1986 issue of McCall's Cooking School magazine series. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

Hi BD.
Sorry to see you're still looking for this recipe. I was going to suggest you ask Uncle Phaedrus, but find you've already done that. Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

There are supposedly complete binder sets for sale on EBay, nearly all under $20. You might want to pick one and contact the seller to verify the recipe you want is included and then purchase it. Don't think you are going to find it as I'm pretty good with research and cannot.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Beef Wellington...

Thanks, I'll check it out. I almost had the recipe, a lady at our library did some research through their system, and found a library that had the book it was in, but when the other librarian looked through it to make a copy of the recipe, someone had torn the complete recipe out. So once again, I'm on the hunt.

Tags
cooking, recipe