"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Master Chef

Kitchen without air conditioning

Is there anyone out there besides me who has a kitchen without air conditioning? I love my kitchen, and it is only a problem for a month or two out of the year. I'm going to post a few of my ideas for coping with it, and please chime in with yours.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

We have large central A/C units upstairs and down stairs however, during Katrina we had no commercial power for 11 days...However we did have generators for the basics....Electric fans circulating the air helped, using the vent hood in the kitchen to draw heat out, plus we did a lot of cooking outside when possible using grills, propane stoves etc...Now with the addition of a larger generator, I have an "emergency" A/C window unit that can be easily installed to create a cool zone in the house.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Master Chef

Uncle Bob, I have lived through many long-term power outages without generators. The most recent was about ten years ago, when hurricanes whipped through the southeast. It was actually kind of funny. My husband and I were on the road for three years, seeing America. We got to Louisiana, and hurricanes were about to hit Florida. We were in a KOA campground, and had fixed dinner. We had an early cell phone with spotty coverage. But I started getting phone messages (couldn't actually recieve calls because of the storm that was coming in). "Mom and Dad are leaving the house, please call when they get there." Similar calls all evening. In a typical communal thing, everyone in the campground was looking for my parents to come in. I was running back and forth from the laundry room, washing sheets for the bed, and at around midnight, my parents showed up, exhausted. I think I had something like chili on the stove, and we spent several happy days together, in Louisiana and Mississippi, then when we hit my parents' neck of the woods, there was no power. What better time to be in a camper-trailer? We were so self-contained that my folks came over after a day of picking up around their house (which was unscathed) and got hot showers and a hot meal.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have airconditioning, but come summer, my cooking style changes.

The oven hardly ever goes on, between June and September. I do roast tomatoes and peppers for canning, but I do that early in the morning, before the sun heats everything up.

I cook outside on the grill, whenever possible, I eat a lot of cold dinners (salad, sandwiches) and lots of quicky stir fries.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Head Chef

We live in Mexico in a Mexican-style house, which was never designed to be air conditioned. Some substantial structural changes would be necessary, and that would have an impact on the overall beauty of the house. So, we live without some of the amenities that most folks from the US would take for granted, i.e., no AC, no dishwasher. Can you believe it? We are perfectly content.

We have large ceiling fans in every room that run 24/7. In the summer, I put a powerful fan in the backdoor when I'm cooking, and flush the hot air out of the kitchen. But like Sparrowgrass, we change the way we eat in summer - lots of cold meals and/or cooked outside on the grill. My DH is in the process of designing an outdoor kitchen for me, which I may actually have by next summer! Bread and cookie making pretty much comes to a halt this time of year, and those are his favorites, so that gives him some motivation...the only problem would be keeping it dry, as this is also our rainy season...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have airconditioning, but come summer, my cooking style changes.

The oven hardly ever goes on, between June and September. I do roast tomatoes and peppers for canning, but I do that early in the morning, before the sun heats everything up.

I cook outside on the grill, whenever possible, I eat a lot of cold dinners (salad, sandwiches) and lots of quicky stir fries.
I don't have air-conditioning, but I do almost exactly what sparrowgrass does. One trick, that sounds like it wouldn't be worth the bother, is that I always have a kettle of water on the stove. When I'm done using a unit, I place the kettle on the unit. The water-filled kettle absorbs the residual heat given off by the unit as it cools down. Believe it or not, I have seen a difference.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Claire - I have central air for the couple of weeks it's intolerable up here. But I do have a suggestion to make...

Steal all of msmofet's chocolate ice cream and share with your kitties :-)

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Living in Florida we couldn't survive without ac. We use that more than the heat feature. I wonder how those units that are just plugged in work - no installation - not even in a window. I've never known anyone who had used one, but have seen them advertised. If they work - it would be good in a pinch.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

We live here in Texas and have been running both ac units plus the tiny window ubit in my sub room since March/April, I think. For my birthday I told dh the only thing I really wanted was another small unit for our bedroom which is on the HOT west side of the house. Since I will be having more surgeries this summer, I wanted to be sure I don't melt, 'cause I'm so sweet, lol!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Master Chef

Because of certain medications I take, I am supposed to avoid getting overheated and stay out of the sun. We have a very efficient heating/cooling system, and a well-insulated house, so our bills are quite reasonable, summer and winter.
But I have lived without AC in the kitchen, and a window fan is a must. I also used to dress for the heat, wearing loose-fitting cotton clothing, as brief as possible.
We didn't have crock pots or microwaves back then, so we did most of our cooking early in the morning, and didn't eat big heavy meals.