"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Slovak Sour Dried Mushroom Soup

My Slovak MIL used to make this Sour Mushroom Soup around Christmas. I found a recipe online and would like to try it, as I am trying to learn her Slovak traditions, and carry them on as best I can.

Sour Mushroom Soup Recipe - Recipe for Slovak Sour Mushroom Soup or Machanka

I remember she always had a hard time finding the dried mushrooms. Does anyone make this? I think there might be specialty stores in Pittsburgh that sell the dried mushrooms but I don't want to go into Pgh. I saw a cooking show on TV and the woman just used sliced mushrooms instead of the dried. If I were to try that, what type of mushrooms would I use? I am only familiar with regular white button mushrooms.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

Many of the large grocery stores carry assortments of dried mushrooms. And dried porcini's are one of the more common dried mushrooms they carry. So if you are near a large store, I'd ask them first , cause there is a good possibility they have them. I find dried mushrooms have a much more intense flavor. Using fresh mushrooms, although would taste good, would probably be different. If I were to substitute, maybe Id use cremini mushrooms or portabello mushrooms.

Could also order them online.
here is just one site, but Im sure many carry them.

Dried Mushrooms: Buy Dried Mushrooms Online Porcini Morel Oyster Shiitake Wood Ear Whole Sliced Kibble. Recipes. igourmet.com

Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Head Chef

Also, if there are any whole foods or trader joe stores near you, I guarantee they will have it.

Cremini look like the typical white mushroo, but they are brown.
Portobello mushrooms are large, about 3 -5 inches in diameter

Both, if carried by your food store, should be located near the white mushrooms.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

OK, I will ask at my local supermarket. They do carry a lot of specialty items. It's worth a try. Also, would I be able to make my own dried mushrooms in a food dehydrator if I can't find them anywhere?

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are a couple hours drive from here. I never go there. They would be a last resort.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Head Chef

I dry my own mushrooms all the time. Sometimes i get a little ambitious, and buy too many thinking I'm going to be able to cook them up. But as the week goes on, and I see them starting to dehydrate a little in the fridge, I just cut them up ( or keep them whole) and toss them in the dehydrator. within a day or so, they are good. I then put them in a ziplock and toss them into the freezer ( Im guessing they may stay fresher that way, not sure if its necessary).

So, the simple answer is , Yes, you can dehydrate them. And I think if you cant find the dried ones in your local market, dehydrating your own white mushrooms would be the next best thing.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Executive Chef

If I can't find them nearby, then I will buy some and dehydrate them.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Master Chef

Carol, this looks like a recipe we would really like, so thanks for posting it.

I have a lot of dried imported porcini mushrooms that I ordered on line, and frankly there's no substitution for their flavor in my opinion. My spaghetti sauce just wouldn't be the same without them. I'm sure you can find the 2 oz. you'll need for this recipe in any supermarket.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I was in the local grocery store today and they do have little .5oz pkgs so I would need 4 of them. I'm going to look around some other places because I won't be making it until Christmas. My MIL's recipe made a whole lot more soup, but this small amount will be good for me. Most of my family doesn't like it because it is sour. The first time I tasted it I expected it to be like Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup, so I was surprised! LOL The generation of my husband's family that made these old Slovak foods has all passed on and none of the younger ones bother with them. I am trying to keep them up as well as I can, being an English/German girl trying to cook Slovak. When I am gone, they will be just a memory.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Costco often has big plastic jars of dried mushrooms.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Head Chef

Maybe using dried is just because that was available all year and not necessary to the success of the soup. And that soup sounds delicious! Thanks.

Tags
soup