"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Master Chef
Tired of cooking...?

Do any of you get to a point where something you love to do, for me cooking and eating, simply stop being good? I just got back from helping my parents get back on their feet after medical problems. They love for me to cook, but, you know what? they don't like to eat any more. Both are under-weight, and Mom's always been a nutrition-conscious, excellent cook. They both talk about how great a cook I am. but in real fact, neither eats more than a few bites a day. I'm back home now, and cooking just seems to have lost it for me. Eating as well. Guess I'm just a little depressed? How do I get the enthusiasm back?

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Master Chef
You need to have a get-together with friends who enjoy eating the food you prepare. Cooking is a way you express yourself. You are one of those social creatures we like to call, wait for it, humans. And as a member of that group of creatures myself, I know how important it is to experience success, and be able receive a bit of praise for our hard efforts, even if that praise is not verbal, or expressly given by others, but rather obtained by watching others enjoy the fruits of our labors.

You need someone to appreciate your hard work, and desire to do your best.

We appreciate your recipes, and interaction, but are not physically in your presence. You can't see if we are really using the info you share, or are just paying lip service. This place is full of trustworthy people, but it is still trust that drives DC friendships. When you have someone over, you can actually see how they respond to your hard work. It makes that work worthwhile.

Even eating good food that isn't of your own preperation, say, at a restaurant, is more enjoyable when someone else is their with you, to share the experience with.

You need a appreciative friend to get your love of cooking back, or your love of fishing, or your love of singing, or, or, or...

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Cook
I'm sorry about your parents. Being there with them must have been really hard for you, but underneath it all I"m sure they were glad to have you there helping. And you could be depressed with reason. It might help to look at your life and how you live it. Think about what it takes to continue that life, with strength and energy. A few first places to start would be eating right, drinking water, and sleeping enough. Sometimes it takes doing something, whether you want to or not, before the enthusiasm returns. Try to make some simple plans to ensure that you have something healthy to eat, and as your body becomes stronger, your emotions will become more positive.

I learned this from The Joy of Stress, by Peter G. Hanson, copyright 1986, published by Andrews, McMeel and Parker. It's a great book.
DMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Claire--I go through the same thing when I come back from my folks. I do all the cooking when I'm there, have to rein in how I cook because of my father's picky eating habits, and when I get home, it takes me a good week or more to get my cooking mojo back. Heck, it takes me a week to unpack! Hang in there. You have been on an emotional rollercoaster and now need some time to relax. Stress can take 7-14 days to get out of your system.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Maybe watching cooking videos or thumbing through cookbooks will help. I know that this works for me. I will look through and find a recipe that I haven't cooked before or go back to a recipe that I haven't quite perfected yet. The research is half the fun for me, I may not jump right back into the kitchen right away, but this get my juices flowing and gets me into the kitchen eventually.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
you've gotten some good advice here. Listen,listen and know all of us wish you the best. We know how you enjoy good food and how well you prepare it. We care about you and want only the best for you. I realize how hard it is to eat sometimes, it can almost make you gag. Don't get to that point. Have your DH make you some of that fresh pasta you love, then dig in and eat till you're so full you smile. Mom and dad will make it and I'm sure savored every bite you cooked.. Good daughter that's you.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Half Baked
Don't feel guilty about putting it down for a while. Like any hobby or craft you don't have to force it. It will be there when you return. It may change as you do or your time allows but there are no rules right.
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Head Chef
When I tire of cooking, I make salads and sandwiches for a while. After enough salad meals, I'm ready to cook real food again.

"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Master Chef
If I have laid out a loose plan for the week the cooking goes fine but every so often I find myself without a plan or a routine, just drifting along and that is depressing for me. Anticipating seasonal treats and family favorites is also a big part of my planning. We all need something to look forward to even if it is only dinner!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
How about fixing a meal you know your parents would have loved at one time, a meal you wish they could enjoy again? That might stir your creative juices and get you feeling better about cooking.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote