"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #831
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Bacon makes the world go around.

It would be interesting to know how much fat content a ready to serve serving of SPAM compares to a ready to serve serving of bacon, although I suspect people eat far smaller servings of bacon than SPAM.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #832
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post

It would be interesting to know how much fat content a ready to serve serving of SPAM compares to a ready to serve serving of bacon, although I suspect people eat far smaller servings of bacon than SPAM.
This seems to have reasonable information: http://skipthepie.org/sausages-and-l...minced-canned/

Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #833
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Once I tried their recipe of pretending it was a ham and scoring it and inserting whole cloves and rubbing it with a sauce, and actually it was pretty good.

But SPAM has so much fat I won't eat it these days. What is it, one-third fat?
There's a lower fat version available. And it's usually an ingredient, not a whole meal, so the other components of the dish must be taken into account when determining the nutritional value, just like with other high-fat foods like sausage and bacon.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #834
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I once bought beef liver in those frozen machine cut slices. It was awful. The dog wouldn't eat it. I've been skeptical ever since.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #835
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks. That info was for the regular Spam. I buy the Lite. Less salt (sodium) and I only slice off two very thin pieces at a time. Sometimes I forget it is in the fridge and end up tossing the rest of it. So I don't feel bad about the figures because I am actually eating a lot less than the figures are telling me.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #836
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Thanks. That info was for the regular Spam. I buy the Lite. Less salt (sodium) and I only slice off two very thin pieces at a time. Sometimes I forget it is in the fridge and end up tossing the rest of it. So I don't feel bad about the figures because I am actually eating a lot less than the figures are telling me.
Yes. I was responding to Greg who wanted to know how Spam compared to bacon. I get the low-salt version as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #837
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sorry, I love all three! I have a problem with your "green peppers" since many peppers are green. I presume you mean bell peppers???
I like fresh yellow & orange peppers. I think the green ones just have a strong bitter taste for me.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #838
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I like fresh yellow & orange peppers. I think the green ones just have a strong bitter taste for me.
The green bell peppers are bitter because they are not ripe. When they do ripen they turn red, yellow or orange. I would love to know how green ones became so popular. I will never understand how folks can willingly eat bitter foods. There are too many better tasting foods to indulge with.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #839
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I like the green and the red - the yellow and orange just taste kind of watery too me...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #840
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Grandma used to cook with green peppers and then pick them out of her food. She liked the flavor imparted but not the texture.