"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What herbs to grow and how many?

Hi all, thinking about growing some herbs at home (for cooking) and wondering whether its best to have a small amount of a lot of herbs or a large amount of a few herbs.

Also, which herbs to start with.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I think it is a regional thing. Here it is hot! so I grow Basil and Parsley. and Rosemary is a bush that is used for Landscaping in yards so I just go snip some bits off my neighbor's bush. Are you growing in Pots or a garden?

Eric, Austin Tx

Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Pots and I think I'll have room for about 10 or so which means I could have one each of the main ones or 2-3 plants of a few key herbs.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:18 AM   #4
Head Chef

I grow Parsley,Sage ,Rosemary ,Thyme ( purposely listed in that order), Basil, Oregano, Bay Leaf, Chives ( Not sure if considered an herb)

I grow more basil and parsley than the others
Im big on making tabouli, which calls for a hand full of parsley at a time, so I grow a decent amount since it wouldn't grow back quick enough for me to use it
Basil also, when i used ( pesto and other pasta dishes), I usually use a cup or two at a time.

The others , the recipes don't call for as much ( although usually when using fresh you have to use more in the recipe than what they would call for if using dry).

Most of my herbs are grown in submerged pots, to keep them contained, organized and it looks nice too.

Can also grow a few different herbs in one larger pot.

my sage plant is huge, and I only used like 10 leaves a year. Problem is the plant is going to do what its genetically programmed to do, so in most cases, its difficult to just grow a little. By the end of the season, I usually have enough to give to everyone I know.

In my area:
Sage, chives always survives the winter
Rosemary, thyme and oregano sometimes survive the winter
Parley also survives the winter, but goes to seed almost immediately after
Bay leaf, basil do not survive

Parsley freezes well
Thyme, bay leaf, oregano, sage and rosemary dry really well ( and maintain their flavor)

Left side of pic is my herb garden in early spring( from a few years ago ). Once July kicks in, I have to keep busy to prune them so they don't take over the whole herb garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	27011  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

We grow herbs and some exotic stuff based on usage. Rosemary, basil, parsley and thyme are always going (we really don't have a winter). We also have a Kaffir lime tree for the leaves, galangal (Siamese ginger) and an Australian finger lime. Galangal and kaffir lime leaves are used in Thai cooking.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Master Chef

Grow what you like to cook with
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Head Chef

I grow alfalfa sprouts. That's all the sunshine my poor little north facing condo gets. None.

Some use grow lights.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Grow what you like to cook with
This is what I was thinking as well. However, what I find is that if I have an excess of certain herbs (even some I don't normally cook with), I'll go searching for uses.

I tend to mostly grow just a few herbs that I like: chives, basil, mint, dill, and a few others. One herb I've tried to grow that doesn't seem to do well here is cilantro. I love the stuff and would use it up quickly, but it seems to always bolt before I get the chance. I've tried growing it in shadier areas, watering more often, etc. I haven't quite figured out the trick for growing it yet.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
Master Chef

My cilantro bolts too! I also haven't figured that out

This year Im growing basil, mint, parsley, chives, rosemary, garlic

I wanted to grow lemongrass again

Ive grown sage, oregano, and other stuff but don't use it that much so I quit
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I grow perennial and seasonal herbs. They're all easy to cultivate, but nevertheless it influences what I cook throughout the year, which is what I prefer. I don't have a greenhouse, and I wouldn't have one here where I live because it would be a blight on the environment, and, anyway, our neighbours do the same, and the food we eat is seasonal in any event. There are other areas not too far from us where greenhouse cultivation is a normal part of growing produce for the markets in the big cities, but here we're in a Unesco site of special interest, so they don't encourage that.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Tags
herbs