"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #21
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I love eel; first choice every time.
+1 for Unagi. Love it!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Uni is something that it seems is either loved or hated. It's actually only the gonads of the sea urchin, but most believe it to be the meat of the whole urchin.

I've tried it several times and either I'm getting old Uni or I just don't care for it. It seems to have a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue that turns me off.

Question for you Uni people; when it's bitter like that, is it just gone bad or is that it's normal flavor?
I've never noticed any bitterness. In fact, it seems to me to have a subtle sweetness. Along with the slight brininess.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
I've never noticed any bitterness <in uni>. In fact, it <uni> seems to me to have a subtle sweetness. Along with the slight brininess.
Isn't that odd? I've had the same experience each time I tried it. Perhaps all of them were bad? I got an unpleasant bitterness on the back of my tongue and it seemed to have a slightly sour taste.

Others have told me that it may be uni that is not fresh and that I should ask when their supply of uni comes in, so I can try it the same day. I like almost everything, food wise. I'll continue to try uni several more times in different places and see if I find *one* time that I love it. If so, then I'll know it's a quality issue, not the food itself.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I think my favourite has to be tuna sashimi, lots of ginger and wasabi and a miso soup. Needing a sushi fix soon!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax
Unquestionably uni (sea urchin). Briney, buttery essence of the sea.

Too bad it is so expensive.
I have never tried sea urchin, although lately it seems to be all the rage. Is it similar in taste and/or texture to any other seafood/s?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatLoveMove View Post
I have never tried sea urchin, although lately it seems to be all the rage. Is it similar in taste and/or texture to any other seafood/s?
I've never tried it either or seen it here for that matter, only on Food network
I have to try some!!!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
Head Chef

I love uni, but for some strange gastric reason, it doesn't mix well with sake, so I have to order one and digest it early into my sushi sit-down. Hard to beat a good maguro or toro tuna for me. Can't think of a sushi or sashimi I don't like...

What do you all think of kaiten zushi? A restaurant that serves its sushi on color coded plates on a conveyor belt. Cheesy, but I love 'em.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatLoveMove View Post
It is very creamy in texture. As I mentioned earlier, it has the "essence of the sea" quality.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I love uni, but for some strange gastric reason, it doesn't mix well with sake, so I have to order one and digest it early into my sushi sit-down. Hard to beat a good maguro or toro tuna for me. Can't think of a sushi or sashimi I don't like...

What do you all think of kaiten zushi? A restaurant that serves its sushi on color coded plates on a conveyor belt. Cheesy, but I love 'em.
Sake is sort of an issue with sushi in general. Purists will tell you it diminishes the flavor of the vinegared rice. Frankly, I like chilled, dry sake enough that I disregard the issue.

I first ran across kaiten sushi in the early '90s in Tokyo. Business had me going there a number of times. I have been to few kaiten places in the US in recent years, as they have caught on, but I haven't found anyplace that I thought the quality was very good.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

My favorite sushi/sashimi is the next piece that that goes in my mouth.