"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 01-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Master Chef
All these Veggies!

i have a bunch of them. i was trimming/dicing/etc., like what we learned in culinary school yesterday & i have so many potatoes (cooked those already; need a use for them now), cucumber, zucchini, diakon radish.... other veggies, too.
besides soup, what should i cook?

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Master Chef
I suggest you grate the zucchini, unpeeled, and use for muffins, bread, or cakes. You can freeze it in ziplocks for use later.
The cucumber would be great for making Tzatziki. You could also make refrigerator pickles, if you have a lot.
I don't know anything about the Diakon radish, except that a friend of mine uses them in his Kim Chee.

What other vegies do you have?

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
Sounds like a good start for a stir fry, luvs!

Or, you could do some "extra credit" homework and mince them and then stuff them into wonton skins and fry up some egg rolls.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef
PIZZA! Lots of salads, zucchini or veggie pancakes. In a zucchini thread, Paula posted a lovely pic of zucchini with three cheeses from a Giada recipe. Or put them on puff pastry with some Brie and bake. Posted a pic somewhere, only using asparagus.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
Master Chef
Pizza sounds good.... and if you have so many cooked potatoes, why not a
potatoe pizza

press the potatoes through a potatoe press, mix it with oil and Salt
add about 100g flour.
pre bake for about 20min (225C) and add toppings as you like
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
Head Chef
Shred the potatoes and freeze. great for hasbrowns or hotdidsh later.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I like my diakon radish raw. They are sweet and can be used on relish tray, sliced on a bread and butter sandwich, or diced into a salad. I have also used them in a veggie casseroles. I love them any way, but I don't know about freezing. They will store in the fridge for a long time.
bevkile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Perhaps a curry with the potaoes would be nice, you could even throw some of the radishes in there.

Cucumbers can easily be added to sweet smooties and juiced, they are usually vaguely sweet themselves and lend a nice melon-ish sort of flavour (Carrots, apples and cucs are are great as a juice).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Head Chef
Probably a bit late but I just found this thread.

Some of those veggies seem to cry, to me, for a ratatioulle. A dish I always wing with what we have on hand.

Or get some smoked pork hocks and make a soup/stew, kind of a caldo gallego thing which, loosely translated, I think means add good veggies and some pork to a pot and enjoy. You can always add some pasta, would not hurt, or dumplings.

Perhaps a frittata, one of my favorites.

For just good eating take the cooked potatoes, mash them, and form them into patties.

Then saute; the mashed potato has not seen a better use, IMHO.

Or add some flour and egg and make potato pancakes (I usually make mine with raw taters, but cooked would easily work).

Daikon radish, hmmm, how about a slaw? Add some grated carrot for both flavor and color, whatever else you might like, and a dressing.

Can always make a tomato based sauce with almost any veggie.

If the veggie cuts are big enough, could do a tempura. Have not done one in years but always enjoyed the stuff.

Sounds like you have a goldmine of veggies. Enjoy.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
break out the deep fryer!!!
you could do a tempura batter with the veggies, and home fries, hash browns, or french fries with the spuds, luvs.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote