"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I think Andy and GB have it about right. And I think white onions can be the most pungent--used in Mexican dishes a lot.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

Sorry, guys--I never use white onions, just yellow.

Aren't the big Texas Sweets white?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Sweet, yellow and white onions all have white flesh. The color refers to the outer covering or skin.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks to everyone. I agree that the most common usage for white onions that I either see or do is when they're diced or sliced but not cooked, just applied to the top of something else. Otherwise use yellows for cooking.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Not to put too fine a point on it, white onions can be cooked/used just like any other. Vidalias (white) are often used uncooked because of their sweet quality--sliced or diced on top of a dish. In fact, I wouldn't use them in a cooked dish where "onions" are called for--they are not spicey/hot enough and when cooked, become even "sweeter", like in the baked onion dish.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #16
Executive Chef

seems any onion can be strong...depends on drying and individual harvests. NY boasts of their strong robust onions (yellow) Whites are not necessarily milder, but often are, and sometimes just dull when cooked.

my rule of thumb has been: yellow with red meats, white with fish, reds for color-often thin sliced on salads or cold dishes (so pretty), sweets whenever I want that flavor texture. Of course, if what I'm looking for looks all banged up in the store, I'll go for something else. I don't like hard and fast rules that prohibit quality substitutions.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #17
Head Chef

My mom always bought red onions because she said they keep longer than the yellow ones. And they pack more flavor too. I use both. I like red onions when cooking strong flavored food. The yellow onions I usually use when I want raw onions, say for topping pizza, hamburger or tuna sandwich. I use shallots when making delicate sauces. They make your food taste sophisticated I think...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
Master Chef

I generally use yellow onion in most all my dishes. However, off the top of my head I know that I use Vadalia Onions when making onion rings and cucumbers and onions. I also always use red onion in my salsa and black bean salad or regular salads. I don't follow any rules with this I just go with my taste. Sometimes however I'll get a yellow onion that is really hot when I was hoping for a milder one......just luck of the draw in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
I was at a conference this week, and they used red onions on our salads--the entire dining room smelled like onions, and they were hot and unpleasant.)
I have noticed this same thing about red onions lately - what is it????? They are sooooooo strong and not pleasant at ALL to eat like they used to be.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

fruits and vegetables tell us a lot about the weather of a given year, as does a bottle of wine.

Tags
None