"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Do you peel eggplant?

I don't know exactly why , but I have always peeled eggplant before frying or baking.

However, someone made lunch for me at my own house a couple of weeks ago, and she simply cut the eggplant up into chunks, skin and all, and chucked it into the ratatouille.

This tasted just fine, and I'm just about ready to revise my judgement.

Also, you read and you hear that eggplant should be "sweated" first, by applying salt and then rubbing with a vegetable with towel, *particularly* if it is to be fried.

I've tended to do this in the past, but I'm wondering if this is not unnecessarily fastidious.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Alex R.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't peel mine..
I do sweat it though but, only because that was the
way I was taught. I'm not really sure if it is a needed step.
I guess it would depend on what you were going to use the
eggplant for. : )

Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
I don't peel mine.. I do sweat it though
So do I, the majority of books recommed sweating whether or not you peel your eggplant, especially Italian cookbooks. I prefer the taste post-sweat as it is somewhat less bitter and I find, easier to work with.

As for peeling or not peeling, it's up to you, but I think the peel does contain some vitamins, which would be a bit of a shame to lose

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Alex, When I fry my eggplant I don't peel nor do I sweat it..If I'm using eggplant in my stuffed onions, I peel it as the skin tends to be tough and hard to chop as fine as i like..

kadesma
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

I never peel or sweat my egg plant. I just wash, slice, roll in egg and seasoned flour and cornmeal and deep fry.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I peel mine, dont sweat it, dip it in egg wash, bread crumbs, and lightly fry before using it for eggplant parmesan. Turns out well for me.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I first ate aubergines (can't bring myself to call them eggplants!) when I was a small girl. We were living in Cyprus and our cook used a lot of them! She never peeled them and always sweated them - so I did that for many, many years.

BUT about 2 years ago, I read an article which 'proved' (?!) that sweating them in order to release bitterness was a myth! Don't know if it's true,but I sometimes don't bother to sweat (if time is short) and I haven't been able to taste the difference
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I will semi-peel my eggplant, leaving on just narrow strips of the skin. I also always sweat w/salt, rinse, and pat dry prior to cooking. I've also heard that the sweating is to prevent bitterness, but can't testify either way if that's true.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Master Chef

I do use salt, but peeling thing has always been on my mind. If I do peel, I think I shouldn't have and next time I do not, but then, of course I think I should have and next time I peel again, and cycle goes on and on and on
Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

I almost always peel ... I've had it un-peeled at many friends' houses and restaurants, and it was great, but somehow whenever I do it, I get a tough peel (that is with the large eggplant you get in most groceries here). I have both salted and not, and now salt-and-strain depending on what I want for final texture and moisture content. Once-upon-a-time you did it to offset bitterness that sometimes happened. Before my time. When I was young, you did this when you got a bitter batch of cucumbers. I've never had a remotely bitter eggplant (only started eating them about 20 years ago), so I do this when I want to reduce the amount of water a vegetable will give off in a dish, or firm up the texture.

Tags
None