"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
Do you want dryopteris? I can send it to you if the postal charge is not high, let find the postal charge.
That is a sweet and generous offer, Radhuni! Thank you so much, but I better not accept. Our agriculture import rules are pretty strict here.

Your second picture does look like our fiddleheads, which are as has been said, an immature fern stage of various varieties of fern, including Dryopteris.

Good info here, and a very interesting thread! I grow probably 8 different varieties of fern in the garden, and we have a number of different kinds growing wild out in the timber. They're quite expensive when purchased, a short growing season.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

Never even heard of it, but looking at it, I have had ferns that look like that (the unopened ones, that is), I think they were fiddle-head, and if I remember right, I think stir-fried, in Hawaii. Oh, I didn't finish the line. I haven't seen them in a store or restaurant since. Seems to me (20 years ago!) they had a bit of a green-bean-ish flavor, nice texture. I know my mom was impressed.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That is a sweet and generous offer, Radhuni! Thank you so much, but I better not accept. Our agriculture import rules are pretty strict here.
How can it violate agriculture import rule, I am not exporting anything, it is a gift not trade. Please don't get me wrong.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
How can it violate agriculture import rule, I am not exporting anything, it is a gift not trade. Please don't get me wrong.
This has nothing to do with trade vs. gifting.

US import regulations forbid bringing agricultural products into the USA for fear of introducing biological pests/diseases to our crops.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

.... and some states have strict laws about bringing in fresh fruit/vegs/plants from other states. California, Hawaii, sometimes Florida, sometimes Arizona (just out of my memory from traveling). This, as Andy said, has nothing to do with import/export financial laws. It has to do with bringing what might be diseased vegetation into a place that has a healthy crop. In other words, you cannot bring an orange you bought in Arizona or Florida into the state of California, and vice versa (unless laws have change, and they might have). I know in Florida when you bought a citrus tree, it was registered to your address, and if something happened with that lot #, the agriculture department would come, dig it up, and destroy it before it could pass on diseases to the orchards and obliterate an entire orange (grapefruit, etc) crop. My sis complained that they confiscated her two orange trees, but there was a grapefruit tree in her yard when she bought the house, and she hated grapefruit. "Why couldn't it have been the grapefruit?" Well, the grapefruit was old and established and been there long before she bought the property! I can remember when we'd cross country by car (something I've done dozens, maybe hundreds, of times in my life) as a kid, it was, pull over at the last rest stop before the state line and eat fruit until you're full, because the rest will be confiscated!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, guys, for the great explanation. I've had fruit confiscated going back across the Canada border to the States. When we go to Mexico, there's a fruit/veg sniffing dog at the airport that goes from suitcase to suitcase after you retrieve your stuff from the luggage belt.

And again, Radhuni, thank you for your generous offer! Your pictures and recipes are gifts enough!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
Master Chef

I've been wanting to try these for months but I can't find them anywhere :(
I love wild foods!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Master Chef

Forgot to say thank you for the Green Chutney Recipe you gave me a while back. Loved it!!!!!! I couldn't find the thread you posted the recipe in when I looked for it. Luckily I have the recipes safely copied :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

And again, Radhuni, thank you for your generous offer! Your pictures and recipes are gifts enough!
Thanks, now I get it.

Pork and fiddlehead recipe (it is not an traditional Indian recipe, it more like Chinese or Tibetan recipe, my husband's community are Chinese immigrants. Most of the Indians don't eat pork. My mom also got annoyed when she learned that I cook pork in my place.)

Boil 500 gm of boneless pork completely.
Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and 250 gm chopped onion, 10-12 cloves chopped garlic and the boiled pork, cook it in low flame with cover stir occasionally
When the pork is almost done just add 100 gm chopped fiddlehead and cook for a while.
When the fiddlehead become soft and fried increase the heat and stir for a minute.
Then turn off the heat and let it stand for 15 min and it is ready.

But you should have it with plain rice to enjoy the taste.

I will post a picture of the dish when I will prepare, I try to avoid prepare pork in summer.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Forgot to say thank you for the Green Chutney Recipe you gave me a while back. Loved it!!!!!! I couldn't find the thread you posted the recipe in when I looked for it. Luckily I have the recipes safely copied :)
Thank you, here is the link of the thread:
Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.

If want more recipe do ask me.

Tags
None