"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Luca--the trick to growing zucchini is to plant fewer plants than you think you'll need. I limit the DH to 5 plants. The other trick is to harvest when they are SMALL. I plant the yellow variety for one reason: you can see the fruit more easily and don't end up with baseball bats, err, zucchini. I trade eggs, and when I can, veggies with a gentleman in exchange for firewood. He came to get his bounty yesterday and brought me a "club-sized" zucchini. I made zucchini pasta (Steven and Chris | Cleanse-Friendly Zucchini Pasta) last night (that used 1/4 of it), zucchini fritters for lunch (that was another 1/4). I'm still working on the rest of it.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #92
Sous Chef

[QUOTE=CWS4322;1178979...
I hope he doesn't bring me another one in 2 weeks when he comes to get his bounty again
...[/QUOTE]

ROTFL

And many thanks for the pasta recipe, it looks very tasty

Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
ROTFL

And many thanks for the pasta recipe, it looks very tasty
It is. I added shrimp, green beans, and avocados, skipped the olives. I used pesto I made with Swiss Chard, and added some grated parm. I had made tomato puree earlier yesterday, the next time I make it (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to use a red sauce based on the puree. I bought my spirolli just so I could make this recipe. It is so much fun to make "noodles" from veggies.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is. I added shrimp, green beans, and avocados, skipped the olives. I used pesto I made with Swiss Chard, and added some grated parm. I had made tomato puree earlier yesterday, the next time I make it (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to use a red sauce based on the puree. I bought my spirolli just so I could make this recipe. It is so much fun to make "noodles" from veggies.
Ok for shrimps, but I don't like avocados and will NEVER skip the olives
And I'll have to cut my zucchini with a knife, I suppose, I don't have this "spirooli" thing. This will surely increase my hatred against zucchini.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Ok for shrimps, but I don't like avocados and will NEVER skip the olives
And I'll have to cut my zucchini with a knife, I suppose, I don't have this "spirooli" thing. This will surely increase my hatred against zucchini.
I skipped the olives because I didn't have any in the house and was too lazy to go out just for olives. Without a spirolli, I'd probably use a grater (grating the long-side, not the short-side of the zuke) instead of a knife, but I'm basically lazy--if I can get a tool to do the job, that's my choice.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #96
Sous Chef

Quote:
I skipped the olives because I didn't have any in the house and was too lazy to go out just for olives. Without a spirolli, I'd probably use a grater (grating the long-side, not the short-side of the zuke) instead of a knife, but I'm basically lazy--if I can get a tool to do the job, that's my choice.
I agree. I'll try the grater, thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm bumping this thread because I am trying to come up with ways to freeze/use frozen zucchini that does not involve bread, muffins, or cake. (Zucchini Slaw--can I freeze this?)

For the grated zucchini, besides what I've done with it in the past, I've come up with:

Zucchini Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe | Yummly

And, zucchini pesto before it goes in the freezer:

Zucchini Pesto with Linguini

And zucchini pasta from the grated zucchini (I can either make the pasta and dry it, or use the grated zucchini sometime later, drain it well, and make the pasta then). That's a recipe from one of my pasta cookbooks.

And, I'm going to make zucchini "spaghetti" with my toy that does that (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...eply&p=1178979). That should clear the counter of the zucchini (although more is arriving Sunday from the farm). But I might have a break from "putting up food for the winter" tomorrow.

"Might" make a batch or two of zucchini muffins during the winter, we'll see.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #98
Head Chef

CWS I have been eating lots of courgette spaghetti recently I have a nifty little gadget to make it with, I love it .
Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
CWS I have been eating lots of courgette spaghetti recently I have a nifty little gadget to make it with, I love it .
I too love that "toy." I wait all year to use it on zucchini.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #100
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm bumping this thread because I am trying to come up with ways to freeze/use frozen zucchini that does not involve bread, muffins, or cake. (Zucchini Slaw--can I freeze this?)

For the grated zucchini, besides what I've done with it in the past, I've come up with:

Zucchini Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe | Yummly

And, zucchini pesto before it goes in the freezer:

Zucchini Pesto with Linguini

And zucchini pasta from the grated zucchini (I can either make the pasta and dry it, or use the grated zucchini sometime later, drain it well, and make the pasta then). That's a recipe from one of my pasta cookbooks.

And, I'm going to make zucchini "spaghetti" with my toy that does that (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...eply&p=1178979). That should clear the counter of the zucchini (although more is arriving Sunday from the farm). But I might have a break from "putting up food for the winter" tomorrow.

"Might" make a batch or two of zucchini muffins during the winter, we'll see.
Substitute zucchini for carrots when making carrot cake...

Can't you just shred it and freeze it in bags for future use?

Tags
other, recipe, zucchini

I hate zucchini I love zucchini & (Summer) squash. Any new and fresh ideas/recipes to share? I posted, and made, [B]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta & Pine Nuts[/B] [URL="http://www.chow.com/recipes/10981-zucchini-carpaccio-with-feta-and-pine-nuts"]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta and Pine Nuts Recipe - CHOW[/URL] On the to-do list: [B]Zuchinni Stuffed with Ricotta Mousse[/B] [URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-boats-with-ricotta-basil-mousse-10000001041862/"]Zucchini Boats with Ricotta-Basil Mousse Recipe | MyRecipes.com[/URL] Gordon Ramsay's [B]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls[/B] [URL="http://www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/ricotta-stuffed-zucchini-rolls/"]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls - Gordon Ramsay Recipe | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté Recipes[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews