"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.
I bring my doctor veggies and eggs all the time. OHIP pays for her services. She hasn't said that she cannot accept them. I know my grandfather (who was a pharmacist in a remote, rural area in northern MN) received payment in goods during the '30s and '40s. His family would not have eaten as well as they did if he had had to carry all those accounts on credit.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.
I give my doctors Christmas presents. They have never indicated it was a problem.

And if it was an ethics issue, it would have nothing to do with the government, which doesn't establish medical ethics.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

I decided to give this recipe for zucchini fritters a try since the claim is that they freeze well. I am adding a bit of smoked paprika and lemon zest and juice, subbing chickpea flour for the regular flour.

zucchini fritters | smitten kitchen
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #124
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's one thing to have space for "gardening" - our lot is 40x140 feet and we have a fair-size garden. But you have three - correct? - *farms.* That's an entirely different scale from anyone else I know who does not actually farm for a living.

If it was me and DH kept planting more than we could reasonably use, it would go into the compost pile.

I would set up a road side stand!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #125
Executive Chef

I have seen some various recipes for stuffed zucchini. In some of them you just scrape out the seeds leaving the pulp intact, add prepared filling and bake. Others, you scoop out the pulp leaving just a shell, add the pulp to the filling, fill and bake. Do you eat the shell, or just the filling. I thought with the ones that you add the pulp to the filling you would eat just the filling, but then there's the ones that the pulp is left intact in the shell. I'm confused.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #126
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And if it was an ethics issue, it would have nothing to do with the government, which doesn't establish medical ethics.
Professional medical societies establish medical ethics for their members. My doctor is just probably more cautious than most. That's a lot better than being not cautious enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I would set up a road side stand!
We've done the Farmer's Market and the Roadside stand. Not worth the time it takes to get ready (FM) in the wee hours of the morning, the regs about cutting off tops of carrots, etc., and then when you're done at the end of the day, you have to do s/thing with everything left. Same thing about roadside stand.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #128
Executive Chef

And if you want to follow strict laws you have to get a business license, pay city/county taxes on your proceeds, then pay federal income tax on the profits.

We really screwed up in some ways when we went from a barter economy to a currency economy (and taxes and government and all that stuff.)

When you think of it, the government really kills a lot of the economy by either making it too complicated and expensive to deal with it and satisfy all the regulations, or you just wildcat it and ignore the gummint and sell your veggies or trade them (barter) for other stuff.

I like it just fine when I grow stuff and my friends grow stuff and we just give each other our excess. Let the gummint tax giving excess vegetables/fruit to friends, yeah, that won't ever happen.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
And if you want to follow strict laws you have to get a business license, pay city/county taxes on your proceeds, then pay federal income tax on the profits.

We really screwed up in some ways when we went from a barter economy to a currency economy (and taxes and government and all that stuff.)

When you think of it, the government really kills a lot of the economy by either making it too complicated and expensive to deal with it and satisfy all the regulations, or you just wildcat it and ignore the gummint and sell your veggies or trade them (barter) for other stuff.

I like it just fine when I grow stuff and my friends grow stuff and we just give each other our excess. Let the gummint tax giving excess vegetables/fruit to friends, yeah, that won't ever happen.
My friends love the eggs the girls produce (I charge a fee for the carton or, if I deliver, a delivery fee--the eggs are free <g>). I love it that a friend barters her curry powder for eggs and another barters her floral arrangements--I love fresh-cut flowers. Now if I could find s/one to barter seafood...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A friend shared this photo/recipe on Facebook. No, it's not the friend who made it. But, I thought of zucchini haters right away. It's low carb and gluten free 'cause there is no grain.

ZUCCHINI PIZZA CASSEROLE

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3073756&type=1

Tags
other, recipe, zucchini

I hate zucchini I love zucchini & (Summer) squash. Any new and fresh ideas/recipes to share? I posted, and made, [B]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta & Pine Nuts[/B] [URL="http://www.chow.com/recipes/10981-zucchini-carpaccio-with-feta-and-pine-nuts"]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta and Pine Nuts Recipe - CHOW[/URL] On the to-do list: [B]Zuchinni Stuffed with Ricotta Mousse[/B] [URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-boats-with-ricotta-basil-mousse-10000001041862/"]Zucchini Boats with Ricotta-Basil Mousse Recipe | MyRecipes.com[/URL] Gordon Ramsay's [B]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls[/B] [URL="http://www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/ricotta-stuffed-zucchini-rolls/"]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls - Gordon Ramsay Recipe | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté Recipes[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews