"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Commercial food products aside, what's the point? No flavor just heat. It becomes a competition among a group of people intent on proving they can eat a hotter pepper than anyone else.

Reminds me of the old joke: What are a redneck's last words? "Oh yeah? Watch this..."
You are aware that millions upon millions of people in the world like to spice up their foods, right?

That *is* the point.

Some like to do so without affecting the intended flavor of a recipe.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You are aware that millions upon millions of people in the world like to spice up their foods, right?

That *is* the point.

Some like to do so without affecting the intended flavor of a recipe.
I'm one of those millions. I like heat and flavor in my food. You said in your earlier post that the chilies provide no flavor and are not meant for small quantities of food. That's why I said 'commercial production aside, what's the point'.

There is a wide variety of chiles that provide heat and flavor in a form that is manageable for a home cooking sized recipe.

I believe the hottest pepper in the world "thing" has become a competition that's judged on SHUs only and not as a practical food item.

I realize it's just my opinion and others won't agree. Just taking the opportunity to express myself.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm one of those millions. I like heat and flavor in my food. You said in your earlier post that the chilies provide no flavor and are not meant for small quantities of food. That's why I said 'commercial production aside, what's the point'.

There is a wide variety of chiles that provide heat and flavor in a form that is manageable for a home cooking sized recipe.

I believe the hottest pepper in the world "thing" has become a competition that's judged on SHUs only and not as a practical food item.

I realize it's just my opinion and others won't agree. Just taking the opportunity to express myself.
I understand, however, I have to re-emphasize the importance to some in *not* altering the intended flavors of a recipe by using any type of pepper that has a low enough heat scale to actually add flavor to a recipe. Many want the proven flavors of a recipe left entirely alone and only some spice added to the dish.

The "hottest pepper in the world thing" is something that makes literal billions of dollars for the winner, for the reasons I stated in an earlier post.

It's financially based, not ego based as you seem to think.

I also posted the practical methods used to apply this type of pepper. It's used daily by millions of people in India and other countries.

I fully understand that your opinion is absolutely your own and in no way is meant as a downgrading of others opinions.

This is only food talk! I'm certainly not upset!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
...I fully understand that your opinion is absolutely your own and in no way is meant as a downgrading of others opinions.

This is only food talk! I'm certainly not upset!
Me too.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

I agree with Andy. If the peppers have no flavor why use them? Why not add liquid capcaisin?

I grow red savina habaneros in my little garden every year and use them because they are both hot (blistering) and very tasty.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I agree with Andy. If the peppers have no flavor why use them? Why not add liquid capsaicin?
If you've ever priced liquid capsaicin, you'd know that it's incredibly expensive. 4ml for $120. It has a nasty taste as well.

It's also crazy strong. Like 16 million on the Scoville Scale.

The peppers cost nothing if you grow them yourself.

Let's put it this way; you have a recipe for something that tastes fantastic as it is. However, being a person who likes spicy foods, you want to spice up the recipe to a higher level to suit you. However, you don't want to add or subtract any flavor from the dish that you love so much.

Then, adding spice by adding a TINY bit of one of the very hot peppers does just that. It makes the dish spicier, but doesn't alter the original flavor of the recipe, because that amount of that pepper has no discernible flavor that will be tasted in any recipe.

So when you say; "If the peppers have no flavor why use them?", then I've just given you the real life reason that it's done.

I can't believe that this concept is so hard for some folks to understand.

No offence meant to anyone. I just seems so very clear to me.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Where are you finding your capsaicin for $120/4ml? I have not priced it in years, but the last time I was in Maine at my favorite hot sauce store they had it for $10. I don't recall the quantity, but I think it was a test tube size bottle. As you mentioned it is 16 million so you only need a drop for a huge amount of food. For less food you could probably even dip a toothpick in and swipe that through your food. A little bottle will last you forever.

Using a pepper to add heat without flavor you end up wasting most of the pepper. I would rather use the space in my garden to grow something I will get more use out of.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Where are you finding your capsaicin for $120/4ml? I have not priced it in years, but the last time I was in Maine at my favorite hot sauce store they had it for $10. I don't recall the quantity, but I think it was a test tube size bottle. As you mentioned it is 16 million so you only need a drop for a huge amount of food. For less food you could probably even dip a toothpick in and swipe that through your food. A little bottle will last you forever.

Using a pepper to add heat without flavor you end up wasting most of the pepper. I would rather use the space in my garden to grow something I will get more use out of.
My goodness, I've never heard so many reasons to not try something new.

These peppers freeze well. You can also use an ice cube tray to store small amounts after blending one chili and filling a couple trays with the water/chili mix. Then just use one ice cube in a dish.

Here's a 4ml bottle of crystals for $119 (good deal)
16 Million PURE Capsaicin Crystals, 4.0ml.

Another 4ml bottle for $210
Amazon.com: 16 Million PURE Capsaicin Crystals, 4.0ml. Kit - Limited Quantities!: Everything Else

And a 1ml bottle for $99
Amazon.com: 16 Million PURE Capsaicin Crystals, 1ml. Kit - Limited Quantities!: Everything Else

Your $10 bottles aren't pure 16 million capsaicin. It's probably an extract at about 500,000 scoville.

Both the extract and the pure crystals are nasty tasting. I know of no one who thinks otherwise after tasting them.

There is a HUGE difference between the crystals and the extracts. The extracts can be as little as 100K scoville.

What was the scoville rating for the $10 stuff you found in the hot sauce store?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

It was pure capsaicin. You had to sign a waiver to buy it. It came with a page of warnings and came in a glass test tube inside another container inside a 3rd container plastered with warnings. It was about 15 years ago so I can not tell you the exact specifics, but 16 million does sound right. I know it was definitely in the multi millions.

I am not saying not to try the peppers. I have had some that blew my head off and I can handle quite a bit of heat. I eat jalapenos like candy. I just do not see the point, for me, to use a pepper that is sooooo hot that it is not enjoyable just to get some heat without flavor. If it works for you or others then go for it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It was pure capsaicin. You had to sign a waiver to buy it. It came with a page of warnings and came in a glass test tube inside another container inside a 3rd container plastered with warnings. It was about 15 years ago so I can not tell you the exact specifics, but 16 million does sound right. I know it was definitely in the multi millions.

I am not saying not to try the peppers. I have had some that blew my head off and I can handle quite a bit of heat. I eat jalapenos like candy. I just do not see the point, for me, to use a pepper that is sooooo hot that it is not enjoyable just to get some heat without flavor. If it works for you or others then go for it.
If it were possible for you to find that deal again, buy all you can. You can make a fortune reselling it to pepper-heads on sites like "The Hot Pepper Forum".

It's cool that there are so many types of people. Many like one thing, others don't care for it. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff.

Thanks for being so patient with my persistence.

Tags
None