"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Zucchini Cheese Squares

Zucchini Cheese Squares

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Butter, to prepare pan

3 cups grated zucchini (4 small or 3 medium zucchini)

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 to 1 medium onion, diced

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning

1/2 cup canola oil

3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish with butter; line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Combine zucchini and salt in a colander set over a bowl or in a sink; toss to mix. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. (For a faster method, place grated zucchini in a small salad spinner and let stand for 5 minutes, then pump to extract excess moisture.)

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add zucchini, onion to taste, cheese, thyme and pepper. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps of zucchini.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and eggs. Pour into zucchini mixture; mix well, which will further break up any remaining clumps of zucchini. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

PER SERVING: 367 calories; 25g fat (61 percent calories from fat); 8g saturated fat; 109mg cholesterol; 13g protein; 23g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 821mg sodium.

Adapted from "The Garden Fresh Vegetable Book," by Andrea Chesman (Storey,Zucchini Cheese Squares

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Butter, to prepare pan

3 cups grated zucchini (4 small or 3 medium zucchini)

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 to 1 medium onion, diced

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning

1/2 cup canola oil

3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish with butter; line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Combine zucchini and salt in a colander set over a bowl or in a sink; toss to mix. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. (For a faster method, place grated zucchini in a small salad spinner and let stand for 5 minutes, then pump to extract excess moisture.)

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add zucchini, onion to taste, cheese, thyme and pepper. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps of zucchini.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and eggs. Pour into zucchini mixture; mix well, which will further break up any remaining clumps of zucchini. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

PER SERVING: 367 calories; 25g fat (61 percent calories from fat); 8g saturated fat; 109mg cholesterol; 13g protein; 23g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 821mg sodium.

Adapted from "The Garden Fresh Vegetable Book," by Andrea Chesman (Storey,

Old 09-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Cook

oooh, i like these. i just put together the first recipe using golden zucchini and i added a shredded carrot, and sub'd the cheddar for goat cheese (i am allergic to cow cheese). in the oven right now.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

HappyAvacado

ARen't you quick? I posted the recipes knowing I was going shopping for ingredients and here you are already tasting them. Hope they are what you expected. Good for you.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Cook

it was excellent, i baked it in muffin tins and served it as a side dish with some ribs. thanks for the recipe!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Zucchini

Thankful you liked it! I got the zucchini from the store and was kind of high price but i wanted to try recipe so I got them. Sure glad you let me know.

Tags
None