Zucchini Cheese Squares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Zucchini Cheese Squares

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Butter, to prepare pan

3 cups grated zucchini (4 small or 3 medium zucchini)

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 to 1 medium onion, diced

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning

1/2 cup canola oil

3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish with butter; line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Combine zucchini and salt in a colander set over a bowl or in a sink; toss to mix. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. (For a faster method, place grated zucchini in a small salad spinner and let stand for 5 minutes, then pump to extract excess moisture.)

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add zucchini, onion to taste, cheese, thyme and pepper. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps of zucchini.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and eggs. Pour into zucchini mixture; mix well, which will further break up any remaining clumps of zucchini. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

PER SERVING: 367 calories; 25g fat (61 percent calories from fat); 8g saturated fat; 109mg cholesterol; 13g protein; 23g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 821mg sodium.

Adapted from "The Garden Fresh Vegetable Book," by Andrea Chesman (Storey,Zucchini Cheese Squares

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Butter, to prepare pan

3 cups grated zucchini (4 small or 3 medium zucchini)

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 to 1 medium onion, diced

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning

1/2 cup canola oil

3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish with butter; line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Combine zucchini and salt in a colander set over a bowl or in a sink; toss to mix. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. (For a faster method, place grated zucchini in a small salad spinner and let stand for 5 minutes, then pump to extract excess moisture.)

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add zucchini, onion to taste, cheese, thyme and pepper. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps of zucchini.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and eggs. Pour into zucchini mixture; mix well, which will further break up any remaining clumps of zucchini. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

PER SERVING: 367 calories; 25g fat (61 percent calories from fat); 8g saturated fat; 109mg cholesterol; 13g protein; 23g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 821mg sodium.

Adapted from "The Garden Fresh Vegetable Book," by Andrea Chesman (Storey,

oooh, i like these. i just put together the first recipe using golden zucchini and i added a shredded carrot, and sub'd the cheddar for goat cheese (i am allergic to cow cheese). in the oven right now.

HappyAvacado

ARen't you quick? I posted the recipes knowing I was going shopping for ingredients and here you are already tasting them. Hope they are what you expected. Good for you.

it was excellent, i baked it in muffin tins and served it as a side dish with some ribs. thanks for the recipe!

Zucchini

Thankful you liked it! I got the zucchini from the store and was kind of high price but i wanted to try recipe so I got them. Sure glad you let me know.

Back
Top Bottom