"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

Try Walmart, Kmart, Bed Bath and Beyond. I think we got our latest one at Sur la Table and it wasn't that much. I'd suggest watching the 'family' episode of Master Chef where the pressure test was gnochii in sage browned butter sauce. I've been making gnocchi for many years and got tips from an Italian nonna. She used cake flour, mostly egg whites with just a bit of yolk mixed in. I had never made them the way they did on MC the other night but did when i made them last night, browned in the butter, and they came out really good. Crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A substitute for a ricer can be a food mill. I like having a ricer. I use it when I make lefse, gnocchi, and perogies. I also use it for squeezing liquid out of spinach and zucchini when making zucchini fritters.
How the heck do you squeeze the liquid out of spinach or zucchini with a food mill? Does it squeeze out through the holes?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

No--that's when I use the ricer.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:45 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I wouldn't put too much thought into it, I'm sure the old ladies that made gnocchi before the food network came along didn't.

I would use one of these.

Good luck!
So true Aunt Bea. Pirates in-laws come from Naples. She uses one of those. Wouldn't have a ricer in her kitchen. And she makes the best gnocci I have ever had. And if you volunteer to do the mashing, you better leave no lumps or you will be tossed out of her kitchen on your ear. It is not easy whipping those 'taters with a masher and no milk or butter to soften them first. But if this little old Italian who is older than me can do it, so can I. I have a ricer. A nice one I bought a couple of years ago. It is still in its package. None of my kids want it. They all have that famous masher in your picture.

So get busy callmaker. Put those muscles to use and build up some strength and muscle mass. You will then be able to say with pride, "I made these from scratch."
Old 08-02-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

TL I use the ricer, not the food mill. Worst kitchen toy I ever bought was the food mill. I hate cleaning it and avoid using it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
A substitute for a ricer can be a food mill. I like having a ricer. I use it when I make lefse, gnocchi, and perogies. I also use it for squeezing liquid out of spinach and zucchini when making zucchini fritters.
Quote:
TL I use the ricer, not the food mill. Worst kitchen toy I ever bought was the food mill. I hate cleaning it and avoid using it.
i misread what you wrote. Didn't see "I like having a ricer." D'oh!

I like my food mill even though it's not actually as useful as I had hoped when I bought it. I don't find it as hard to clean as my food processor, even when it doesn't go in the dishwasher.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a food mill and had two problems. The first one was storage. It is an awkward piece of equipment to store. It won't sit inside a pan, and requires a space all of its own. The second one was I really didn't have much use for it except to puree potatoes and a few other veggies. It was a lot easier to just serve them in chunks. And if I really wanted them mashed, then I used a masher.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Found a potato ricer today, at a local kitchen shoppe, thanks for all the comments and ideas.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
Found a potato ricer today, at a local kitchen shoppe, thanks for all the comments and ideas.
Good for you CM! Like I said before, I don't use it often but glad I have it. There's nothing at all wrong with having the perfect tool for the job.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto. Be sure to report back on how it goes.

Tags
None